First-Order Circuit Transient Response Question that i with

In summary, the switch in the given circuit closes at t = 0 and opens again at t = 105 µs. To find the values of Ix and Vx at different times, we need to calculate the time constant of the circuit, which can be done by finding the Thevenin equivalent of the network without the capacitor. This will give us a single resistance and a voltage supply, which can be used to calculate the values for Ix and Vx at any given time after t = 0. Using this approach, we can find the answers to all four questions.
spoonjabba
The switch in the diagram below has been open for a long time prior to t = 0; then it closes at t = 0 and opens again at t = 105 µs. Find:

1. Ix(75 µs),
2. Vx(75 µs),
3. Ix(190 µs),
4. Vx(190 µs).

Attached is the diagram of the circuit and its answers.

so i understand how to get questions 1 and 2, but for 3 and 4 I am stuck.

i found the voltage of the capacitor at time 105µs so I am assuming I use that voltage as the initial condition to questions 3 and 4. I also know that the time constant(tau2) will be different as it will only be the C and R1.

these are the values i am calculating thus far.
vx(105us) = 7.1467V
Tau2 = 33n*3900
vx(190us) = 7.1467e^(-190us/tau2) << i have a feeling i have done something wrong here

thanks guys!

Attachments

• 7.4.png
    7.4.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spoonjabba said:
The switch in the diagram below has been open for a long time prior to t = 0; then it closes at t = 0 and opens again at t = 105 µs. Find:

1. Ix(75 µs),
2. Vx(75 µs),
3. Ix(190 µs),
4. Vx(190 µs).

Attached is the diagram of the circuit and its answers.

so i understand how to get questions 1 and 2, but for 3 and 4 I am stuck.

i found the voltage of the capacitor at time 105µs so I am assuming I use that voltage as the initial condition to questions 3 and 4. I also know that the time constant(tau2) will be different as it will only be the C and R1.

these are the values i am calculating thus far.
vx(105us) = 7.1467V
Tau2 = 33n*3900
vx(190us) = 7.1467e^(-190us/tau2) << i have a feeling i have done something wrong here

thanks guys!
Hi spoonjabba, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The time constant ##\tau## will depend upon both of the resistances. I suggest that you "remove" the capacitor from the circuit and find the Thevenin equivalent of the remaining network (resistors and voltage supply). This will be the equivalent circuit that the capacitor will "see", and will consist of a single resistance in series with a voltage supply. It will then be a trivial matter to calculate the effective time constant and other values.

1. What is a first-order circuit?

A first-order circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of only one energy storage element, typically a capacitor or an inductor. It is a basic circuit that is used to model many real-world systems.

2. What is transient response in a first-order circuit?

Transient response refers to the behavior of a first-order circuit when it is first switched on or when a sudden change occurs in the input signal. It describes how the circuit responds to this change before reaching a steady-state.

3. How do you calculate the time constant of a first-order circuit?

The time constant of a first-order circuit is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance or inductance in the circuit. It can also be calculated by dividing the energy storage element's value by the resistance in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between a first-order circuit and a higher-order circuit?

A first-order circuit has only one energy storage element, while a higher-order circuit has multiple energy storage elements. This means that the transient response of a higher-order circuit can be more complex and involve multiple time constants.

5. How do you analyze the transient response of a first-order circuit?

The transient response of a first-order circuit can be analyzed by using differential equations or by using circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and nodal or mesh analysis. It can also be visualized using circuit simulation software.