First Order Circuit: Replacing Inductor & Current Source

In summary, the conversation discusses what happens when the inductor is replaced with a short circuit and how it affects the current source. One possible solution is to remove the 6k and 2k resistors, but the current source may still demand a certain current flow. It is also mentioned that the voltage across the inductor being 0 means that some current is flowing through the 3k resistor. The expert confirms that in this case, there would be 2mA of current traveling through the inductor.
Jebus_Chris
I'm not sure what happens when you replace the inductor with a short circuit. The current source is what throws me off.

One thought I had was that you can remove the 6 and 2 kohm resistors, but then I don't know what ahppens to the current source.
http://imgur.com/lks7y
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you've said is right. The voltage across the inductor being 0 also means some current is flowing through the 3k resistor. The current source demands a certain current flow, so KCL should give you the inductor's steady current.

So then are you saying that you remove the current source as well since the voltage around it is zero?

Jebus_Chris said:
So then are you saying that you remove the current source as well since the voltage around it is zero?

The question is designed to trick your intuition. A current source can pull any amount of current no matter what the voltage across it is, including 0 volts.

What you've said about the 2k and 6k resistors is correct -- the voltage across them is zero so Ohm's law gives zero current through them. The current source continues to draw 5mA no matter what.

Last edited:
Ok, so then you're saying that there is 2mA of current traveling up [i(0) = -2] through the inductor?

Yes, that's it.

1. What is a first-order circuit?

A first-order circuit is a type of circuit that contains only one reactive element, either an inductor or a capacitor, along with resistive elements. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices and are known for their simple and easy-to-analyze behavior.

2. What is the purpose of replacing an inductor and current source in a first-order circuit?

The purpose of replacing an inductor and current source in a first-order circuit is to simplify the circuit and make it easier to analyze. This is often done by using a Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuit, which replaces the inductor and current source with an equivalent voltage source and resistor.

3. How do you determine the equivalent voltage source and resistor in a first-order circuit?

The equivalent voltage source can be determined by using the formula V_eq = I * L, where I is the current through the inductor and L is the inductance. The equivalent resistor can be found by using the formula R_eq = L / Rc, where Rc is the resistance of the current source.

4. Can a first-order circuit with an inductor and current source be simplified if there are other components present?

Yes, a first-order circuit with an inductor and current source can still be simplified even if there are other components present. The method for simplification may vary depending on the specific circuit, but the goal is to reduce the circuit to an equivalent circuit with just a voltage source and resistor.

5. What are the benefits of using a Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuit in a first-order circuit?

The main benefit of using a Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuit in a first-order circuit is that it simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to analyze. This can save time and effort in circuit design and troubleshooting. Additionally, using equivalent circuits can help identify the dominant behavior of the circuit and make it easier to predict its performance.