RLC Series Circuit Analysis: Questions and Answers

In summary, the conversation is about analyzing linear RLC series circuits using Laplace transforms. The speaker discusses their method of using Kirchhoff's voltage law and transforming equations for voltage drop across resistors, inductors, and uncharged capacitors. They encounter a scenario where a charged capacitor is inserted into the circuit, causing them to question their method and seek clarification from their professor. The professor suggests representing the capacitor and inductor as separate components with their own transforms, and the conversation ends with the suggestion to solve for the arbitrary constant of integration that matches the initial charge on the capacitor.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
Just a quick question for you people - If I have a linear RLC series circuit where there is an uncharged capacitor at time t=0, and the switch is closed, is it an entirely different analysis (in terms of laplace transforms) than If, say, the some battery charges a capacitor, then I put it into the circuit without any external voltage source?

I Have been analyzing these circuits and getting correct answers.

I use kirchhoffs voltage law, when I have a resistor I use v(t)=Ri(t) and transform it to V(s) = rI(s) , the voltage drop across the inductor Ldi/di as L(SI(s)-i(0)) and the voltage drop across the capacitor (uncharged scenerio) as 1/c integral i(t)dt transforms to (I(s)/SC + v(0)/S) once I solve for the volt drop. I re arrange 1/c integral i(t)dt to i(t) = Cdv(t)/dt and transform it and solve for V(s).

Now I make an equation as V(s)/S = RI(s) + L(SI(s)-i(0) + (I(s)/SC + v(0)/S) and this has been working for these circuits.

However, there is a scenerio my professor has given us where the charged capacitor is inserted. No longer I can use this transform for the capacitor certainly? I get similar answers but signs incorrect. It is as if I must use (I(s)/SC - v(0)/S), not plus. My professor showed me I can represent the capacitor, and inductor, as two components with their own transform. For example, the capacitor impedance represented as 1/SC in complex frequency domain, and in series with v(0)/S and it makes sense to me that if the capacitor is now charged and thus supplying power as opposes to consuming it, the transform I initially stated for the capacitor cannot be correct. However his methods seem to contradict each other, its friday and I cannot wait for the class to pick back up I need to know.

Any information appreciated greatly.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Laplace transforms describe a system, and the external stimulus to the system. Your problem is that you are changing the system, by switching in a capacitor. Be sure to write equations only for the post switching time.

The time domain solutions will contain an arbitrary constant of integration. You can solve for the value of that constant that also matches the initial charge on the capacitor.

1. What is an RLC series circuit?

An RLC series circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. The components are connected in a single loop with the same current flowing through each component.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing an RLC series circuit?

The purpose of analyzing an RLC series circuit is to determine the behavior of the circuit, such as the voltage and current at different frequencies. This information is useful in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

3. How is the impedance of an RLC series circuit calculated?

The impedance of an RLC series circuit is calculated using the equation Z = √(R² + (ωL - 1/ωC)²), where R is the resistance, L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and ω is the angular frequency.

4. What is resonance in an RLC series circuit?

Resonance in an RLC series circuit occurs when the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a minimum impedance and maximum current. This is also the frequency at which the voltage across the capacitor and the inductor are equal and opposite, resulting in no net voltage across the circuit.

5. How do you calculate the resonant frequency in an RLC series circuit?

The resonant frequency in an RLC series circuit can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance. This is the frequency at which the impedance is at its minimum and the circuit is most efficient.