1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order DE

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1)Find the solution of [tex]x'=x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] that passes through the point [tex](t_0, x_0)[/tex] where [tex]x_0>0[/tex].
    2)Find all the solutions of this equation that pass through the point [tex](t_0,0)[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Direct integration.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=x^{\frac{1}{2}} \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}=dt \Rightarrow \int \frac{dx}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}=t+C\Rightarrow 2 x^{\frac{1}{2}}=t+C \Rightarrow x=\frac{t^2}{4}+tC+C^2[/tex].

I determined C thanks to the initial condition and the equation became [tex]x=\frac {t^2}{4}+t \left ( \frac{2x_0 ^{\frac{1}{2}}-t_0}{2}} \right ) + \frac{(2x_0 ^{\frac{1}{2}}-t_0)^2}{4}}[/tex].
    2) Replacing [tex]x_0[/tex] by [tex]0[/tex] in the above equation yields [tex]x= \left ( \frac{t}{2}-\frac{t_0}{2} \right ) ^2[/tex].
    Unfortunately I replaced this solution into the original equation and the equality isn't true. So I made an error. I also replaced the first solution I got (the one with C's) into the equation and it didn't work. Hence I made an error quite early. I don't know where though.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fluidistic! :smile:
    Nooo :redface:

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I got it thanks. Yeah a shame!

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Mar 3, 2010 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Mar 3, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

Please post your final solution. There are some mistakes that make me go :eek:

8. Mar 3, 2010 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok. I have at least one doubt.
    Here goes my attempt: [tex]x=\frac{t^2+2tC+C^2}{4}[/tex]. It satisfies the DE, so I'm sure I'm right until here.
    Now to answer 1): [tex]x_0=x(t_0)=\frac{t_0^2+2t_0C+C^2}{4}[/tex].
    Thus [tex]C^2+2t_0C+(t_0^2-4x_0)=0[/tex]. Solving for C, I got [tex]C=-t_0 \pm 2 x_0^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].
    Hence [tex]x= \frac{t^2+2t (2x_0^ {\frac{1}{2}} -t_0)+(2x_0^{\frac{1}{2}}-t_0 )^2}{4}[/tex].
    Notice that I took [tex]C=-t_0+2 x_0^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] but I'm not sure why I didn't take [tex]C=-t_0-2 x_0^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. This is my doubt.
    To answer 2), I just plugged [tex]x_0=0[/tex] in the above equation to reach oh... yeah the same wrong result I had.
    I'm really clueless where I made an error. I revised the quadratic in C and I don't see any error. The first equation is right... so, maybe my method isn't. I'd love to know where are my mistakes.

9. Mar 3, 2010 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok lets rewrite it as:

x(t) = 1/4 (2*C*t + C^2 + t^2)

x_0 means x(0) means t=0

x(0) = 1/4*C^2 C = sqrt(4*x0) = 2*sqrt(x0)

So for problem #1 you are asked to find x(t) = 1/4* (2*2*sqrt(x0)*t + 4*x0 + t^2)

and x(t) = 1/4*(4*sqrt(x0)*t + 4*x0 + t^2)

for problem #2 you are asked to find solutions that pass through (t0,x0=0)

x(t) = 1/4*(4*sqrt(0)+4*0+t^2) = 1/4 * t^2 = (t^2)/4

10. Mar 3, 2010 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks a lot for the answer, I'm going back to it as soon as I can, i.e. in about 2 days... I have to do a trip of more than 800 km (11 hours) due to a passport thing.

11. Mar 5, 2010 #10

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'm back!
    Ok, it seems much easier than I thought. But I have some questions, why did you chose [tex]C=2x_0 ^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] and not [tex]C=-2x_0 ^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]?
    My other questions are that although I misunderstood what was meant by [tex]x_0[/tex] (I thought it was x(t_0) instead of x(0) ), why won't my final expression of x(t) work? I should have found a particular solution to the equation... or not?
    Also, what's the deal with this [tex]t_0[/tex]? It doesn't even appear a single time anywhere but in the question.

12. Mar 6, 2010 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Small bump... can someone answer my last 3 questions? I'm self studying DE's, I really need to understand the topic and my 3 last questions are puzzling me.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook