1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order DE

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the general solution of the following DE reducible to a homogeneous one: x+y-2+(x-y+4)y'=0.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea is first to write the DE into the homogeneous form and then solve it via any method that work.
    I've read on the Internet that a homogeneous DE is of the form y'(x)=ay(x) where a is a constant.
    What I've done is [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2-x-y}{x-y+4}[/itex] for x-y different from 4. So it seems I could write [itex]\frac{2-x-y}{x-y+4} =\alpha y(x)[/itex] but I do not see how it's possible.
    I don't really know how to go further.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are different meaning for "homogeous" for d.e.s of first order and higher order. A first order equation, of the form dy/dx= f(x,y)/g(x,y) is "homogeneous" if replacing both x and in f(x,y)/g(x,y) by ax and ay respectively, gives the same as f(x,y)/g(x,y)- that is, the "a" cancels out. Here, f(x,y)= 2- x- y and g(x,y)= x-y+ 4 and f(ax,ay)= 2- ax- ay and g(ax, ay)= ax- ay+ 4 so that f(x,y)/g(x,y)= (2- ax- ay)/(ax- ay+ 4) which does not equal f(x,y)/g(x,y). This equation is not "homogeneous" in that sense.

For higher order, linear equations, a differential equation is "homogeneous" if there are NO terms that does not involve y or a derivative of y. This d.e. is not a linear equation to begin with so it is NOT homogeneous in that sense.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you for the information.
    Hmm so the problem is wrongly stated?
    I am not sure how to solve the DE. I had read the integrating factor method can solve any first order DE but I think it requires the DE to be linear which isn't the case here.
    What other method(s) could I use here?

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about substitution:

z=x-y+4?

ehild

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The other method can be to check if the ODE is exact, that is
    (x+y-2)dx+(x-y+4)dy =d(F(x,y).

ehild

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for your help!
    Hmm, I didn't reach anything useful.
    Just checked out, it is exact. I reach [itex]F(x,y)=\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2}+xy-2x+4y[/itex] and according to Boa's mathematical methods for physics, "the solution is F(x,y)=C". But obviously it isn't the solution to the DE since I should get y(x)...

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7
    I hope I helped...

Write it as

[tex](x + y)dx - (2x - 2y + 4)dy = 0[/tex]

Don't check because it isn't exact, so you need an integrating factor.

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Let F(x,y)=C. Then [itex]x^2 - y^2 + 2xy + 4x + 8y = 2C_1 = C_2[/itex]. That's an implicit function (or rather, collection of functions) of x in terms of y. It can be solved using the quadratic formula, arranging the terms like so:

[tex](-1) y^2 + (8+2x) y + (x^2 + 4x - C_2) = 0[/tex]

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for helping too. I don't really understand why I can write the DE under this form.
    The one of ehild was understandable to me and looked exact too. But from my last step in my last post, I reached y(x) but it didn't satisfy the original DE so I think I made at least 1 mistake somewhere.
    I will come back tomorrow on this problem, must sleep now.

Edit: Just saw your post char.limit. That is exactly what I've done on my draft but made a mistake I guess. Will come back tomorrow on it.
    By the way, could someone explain me the post of flyingpig? Looks an interesting approach I'm missing.

11. Sep 15, 2011 #10

Char. Limit

Gold Member

As I said above, you didn't make a mistake. You just neglected to go all the way with it.

12. Sep 15, 2011 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:tongue2:
    That is the solution:
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2}+xy-2x+4y = C[/tex]

It defines y implicitly. If you must have an explicit formula, solve for y using the quadratic formula. But it will be ugly.

[Edit] Never mind, I see someone else types faster :tongue2:

13. Sep 16, 2011 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that useful?
    z=x-y+4
    y=x-z+4
    y'=1-z'

Original equation: x+y-2+(x-y+4)y'

Substituting z:

x+(x-z+4)-2+(x-(x-z+4)+4)(1-z')=0

2x-z+2+z(1-z')=0

2x-z+2+z-zz'=0

2x+2-zz'=0

2x+2=zz'
    can you find y(x)? Is the solution the same as yours? :smile:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  14. Sep 16, 2011 #13

fluidistic

Gold Member

Unfortunately I reach different answers. I had solved the quadratic yesterday and I just redid the arithmetics, fixing some error. I reach [itex]y(x)=x+4 \pm \sqrt {2x^2+4x+C}[/itex].
    Using ehild's z-substitution, I reach [itex]y(x)=x+4 \pm \sqrt {2x^2+16+C}[/itex].
    I can't seem to find any error in either methods; must be another arithmetics errors...

15. Sep 16, 2011 #14
    I need to make a correction. I read the question wrong. Don't even take my post seriously ...

16. Sep 16, 2011 #15

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see. No problem :)
    Thanks for your will of helping me though.

17. Sep 17, 2011 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just wonder how could you get 16 instead of 4x. Next time show your derivations in detail, to spare extra work for everybody.

[itex]2x+2=zz'[/itex]

[itex]\int{(2x+2)dx}=\int{zdz}[/itex]

[itex]x^2+2x+C'=\frac{1}{2}z^2[/itex]

[itex]\mp \sqrt{2x^2+4x+C}=z[/itex]

[itex]y=x-z+4[/itex]

[itex]y=x+4\pm \sqrt{2x^2+4x+C}[/itex]

ehild

18. Sep 17, 2011 #17
    Oh wait, this is exact...Sorry lol

19. Sep 17, 2011 #18

fluidistic

Gold Member

My bad, this is exactly what I've found using your method. I meant that using your method I reach [itex]y=x+4\pm \sqrt{2x^2+4x+C}[/itex] while using the other method, I find a different answer.
    I start from the general solution [itex]\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2}+xy-2x+4y=C[/itex]. Multiplying everything by -2, I get [itex]y^2+y(-2x-8)-x^2+4x+C=0[/itex]. Solving the quadratic for y(x) gives me a "+16" rather than a "+4x" compared to your result.
    [itex]y(x)= \frac{2x+8 \pm \sqrt {4x^2+16x +64 -4(-x^2+4x+C)} }{2}=x+4 \pm \frac{ \sqrt {8x^2+64+C}}{2}=x+4 \pm \sqrt {2x^2+16+C}[/itex].
    I don't see a single mistake in any step of either derivations, yet I reach a different result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook