1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Differential Equation

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    "A recent college graduate borrows $100,000 at an interest rate of 9% to purchase a condominium. Anticipating steady salary increases, the buyer expects to make payments at a monthly rate of 800(1 + t/120), where t is the number of months since the loan was made. Assuming that this payment schedule can be maintained, when will the loan be fully paid?"

Please, help me find where I made a mistake. Here's what I've got:

[tex]S_0 = \$ 100,000 [/tex]

[tex]r = 0.09[/tex]

[tex]k(t) = \$ 800 \left( 1 + \frac{t}{120} \right) / \mbox{month}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dS}{dt}=rS-k(t), \qquad S(0)=S_0[/tex]

[tex]\mu = \exp \left( -r \int dt \right) = e ^{-rt}[/tex]

[tex]S(t)=e^{rt}\int -800 \left( 1 + \frac{t}{120} \right) e ^{-rt} \: dt[/tex]

[tex]S(t)=e^{rt}\left( \frac{20e^{-rt}}{3r^2} + \frac{800e^{-rt}}{r} + \frac{20e^{-rt}t}{3r} + \mathrm{C} \right)[/tex]

[tex]S(t) = \frac{20t}{3r} + \frac{800}{r} + \frac{20}{3r^2} + \mathrm{C} e^{rt}[/tex]

[tex]t=0 \Rightarrow \frac{800}{r} + \frac{20}{3r^2} + \mathrm{C} = S_0 \Rightarrow \mathrm{C} = \frac{-20-2400r+3r^2 S_0}{3r^2} [/tex]

[tex]S(t)=\frac{20}{3r^2} - \frac{20e^{rt}}{3r^2} + \frac{800}{r} - \frac{800e^{rt}}{r} + S_0 e^{rt} + \frac{20t}{3r}[/tex]

[tex]S(t)=0 \Rightarrow t \approx - 131 \mbox{ months} [/tex]

which is WRONG!!!!

Any help is highly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't say I completely follow what you are doing, but it seems to me you have two different time scales going on and you may have lost track of the initial value a few equations into your analysis. If you were making no payments, the amount owed would be increasing every month. In the continuous interest limit you would have

[tex]S(t)=S_0 e^{rt/12}[/tex]

where r is the annual interest rate and t is in months. The payments were already expressed in terms of t in months and of course they reduce the value of S(t). So I think you need

[tex]\frac{dS}{dt}=rS/12 -k(t), \qquad S(0)=S_0[/tex]
  4. May 19, 2005 #3
    Your integration is all correct, so it is something small, OlderDan seems to be making sense to me.
  5. May 20, 2005 #4
    You're right. It's something pretty small. I should have divided r by 12, which ultimately gives the correct answer: t = 135.36 months.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?