1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order differential question

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    question :

As the salt KNO3 dissolves in methanol, the number x(t) of grams of the salt in a solution after t seconds satisfies the differential equation dx/dt = 0.8x - 0.004x^2

if x=50 when t=0, how long will it take for an additional 50g of salt to dissolve.

ok, here I'm encountering a problem in the differential part, I don't know how to solve the differential question.. so far, what I have done...

using separable differential equations..

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = dt

and integral both sides...

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = t+c

I don't know to integrate the right side, I use the integral calculator and the answer is

{ 5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) } / 4 so, the whole equation will be

5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) = 4 (t+c)

but, I think it doesn't work when I substitute x=50 when t=0. cause the ln (x-200) can't be minus..

so, please advise me

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2
    When you perform an integral to get a ln function, it is always ln of the absolute value of the variables. So your equation should read 5 ln |x| - 5 ln |x-200} = 4 (t+c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook