Separating Variables in First Order Differential Equations

In summary, the homework equation becomes:y' + p(X)y = q(x)and y(x) = (\intu(x)q(x) + c)/u(x)where u(x) = e\intp(x)dxThe Attempt at a Solution(2t+x) dx/dt + t = 0 becomes:dx/dt + t/(2t+x) = 0 by dividing through by (2t+x)However, now I don't know how to separate t and x in the second term.It looks like it is first-order homogeneous.Make the substitution z=x/t by
vikkisut88

Homework Statement

Solve: (2t+x) dx/dt + t = 0

Homework Equations

y' +p(X)y = q(x)
and y(x) = ([tex]\int[/tex]u(x)q(x) + c)/u(x)
where u(x) = e[tex]\int[/tex]p(x)dx
Note this u(x) is 2 to the power of the integral of p(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

(2t+x) dx/dt + t = 0 becomes:
dx/dt + t/(2t+x) = 0 by dividing through by (2t+x)

However, now I don't know how to separate t and x in the second term.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it is first-order homogeneous. Make the substitution z=x/t by dividing by t throughout your t/(2t+x), and then x=tz and x'=z+tz' by the product rule. Now it's in a form you want it for the relevant equations you listed. Just make the substitution the other way when you've solved for z.

vikkisut88 said:

Homework Statement

Solve: (2t+x) dx/dt + t = 0

Homework Equations

y' +p(X)y = q(x)
and y(x) = ([tex]\int[/tex]u(x)q(x) + c)/u(x)
where u(x) = e[tex]\int[/tex]p(x)dx
Note this u(x) is 2 to the power of the integral of p(x)
These apply only to a linear first order d.e. And this d.e. is NOT linear because of the x multiplying dx/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

(2t+x) dx/dt + t = 0 becomes:
dx/dt + t/(2t+x) = 0 by dividing through by (2t+x)

However, now I don't know how to separate t and x in the second term.

Okay so does that mean that what jeffreydk would not work? If so what can i use instead? I have only been taught about linear first order d.e so really don't know what to do!

Yea it is non-linear I didn't notice that. What I said won't work.

No, being "homogeneous" has nothing to do with being linear. I would consider it very strange that you have "only been taught about linear first order d.e.". Usually separable d.e. comes before that.

In any case, as jeffreydk said (and I won't allow him to take it back!) making the substitution z= x/t so that tz= x and z+ t dz/dt= dx/dt. Dividing the equation by t gives (2+ x/t)dx/dt+ 1= 0.

(2+ z)(z+ t dz/dt)+ 1= 0 or t(2+z) dz/dt= 1-(2+ z2)= z2- 1 which is a separable equation.

What is a first order differential?

A first order differential is a type of differential equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It is a mathematical tool used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between an ordinary and partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. The solution to an ordinary first order differential equation is a function, while the solution to a partial first order differential equation is a function of the remaining variables.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

The most common method for solving first order differential equations is separation of variables, where the equation is rearranged into the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), and then integrating both sides. Other methods include using substitution, linearization, and numerical methods.

What are some common applications of first order differentials?

First order differentials are used in many fields to model real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, decay processes, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering for control systems and optimization problems.

What are the limitations of first order differentials?

First order differential equations can only model phenomena that can be described by a single independent variable and a single dependent variable. They also assume that the rate of change is directly proportional to the current value of the function, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.