Solving First Order Equations: Integral Factor and Exact Differential Equation

In summary: Separate the variables x and y first.I have the following equation: (x^2-y^2-y)dx-(x^2-y^2-x)dy=0I was trying to find the integral factor of this to make it a exact differential equation, but ended in a almost imposible integral. do anyone have any idea of how to make this?It's a total differential equation. It's how i solved it:two or three combinations and you get it:where C is realIt certainly is NOT an 'exact' equation (total differential) and the solution you give is not correct.I don't know whether
Link-
I have the following equation:

(x^2-y^2-y)dx-(x^2-y^2-x)dy=0

I was trying to find the integral factor of this to make it a exact differential equation, but ended in a almost imposible integral. do anyone have any idea of how to make this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Separate the variables x and y first.

Link- said:
I have the following equation:

(x^2-y^2-y)dx-(x^2-y^2-x)dy=0

I was trying to find the integral factor of this to make it a exact differential equation, but ended in a almost imposible integral. do anyone have any idea of how to make this?

It's a total differential equation. It's how i solved it:
1.JPG

two or three combinations and you get it:
2.JPG

where C is real

It certainly is NOT an 'exact' equation (total differential) and the solution you give is not correct.

I don't know whether there is an easier solution but i would start with
dy/dx=(x^2-y^2-y)/(x^2-y^2-x)
then divide both sides with x^2 and use u=y/x substitution

HallsofIvy said:
It certainly is NOT an 'exact' equation (total differential) and the solution you give is not correct.

so where's an error?

[itex]P(x,y)=x^2-y^2-y[/itex], and [itex]Q(x,y)=-x^2+y^2+x[/itex], so

[tex]P_y=-2y-1 \neq -2x+1 = Q_x.[/tex]

-------

Link:

Why don't you show us what you did?

Last edited:
omg I don't want to write 5 more lines.
but if it's too hard for someone who would read it i can write

AiRAVATA said:
y and x aren't constant

menager31 said:
y and x aren't constant

Really? Are you serious?

Did you even bothered to calculate [itex]\partial P/\partial y[/itex] and [itex]\partial Q/ \partial x[/itex]?

Last edited:
do you KNOW how to calculate Py and Qx?

Your remark makes it clear that you don't know how to take a partial derivative!

It isn't important, of course, that
menager31 said:
omg I don't want to write 5 more lines.
but if it's too hard for someone who would read it i can write
makes it clear that this is a troll.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.JPG

:approve::approve::approve::approve:

?

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} \neq \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}[/tex]

False => False. Your hypothesis is wrong! Go back to the book and read REALLY CAREFULLY this time.

The least you should do this time is check your answer before claiming it's correct.

AiRAVATA said:
?

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} \neq \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}[/tex]

False => False. Your hypothesis is wrong! Go back to the book and read REALLY CAREFULLY this time.

The least you should do this time is check your answer before claiming it's correct.
ok, sorry, no I've understood

So you firmly believe (a quote from your post) that
-2y- 1= 1- 2x? If so there is not point in trying to change your mind!

For a different view on the subject, try this book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120156979964&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

Last edited by a moderator:
AiRAVATA said:
[itex]P(x,y)=x^2-y^2-y[/itex], and [itex]Q(x,y)=-x^2+y^2+x[/itex], so

-------

Link:

Why don't you show us what you did?

I couldn't resolve it.

I suggested integral factor because I founded this equation on an old book in the integral factor chapter. I will give it another try to see what happens.

OK, I tried again using the integral factors to make the equation an exact differential equation I end up with nothing again.

([tex]\frac{\delta M}{\delta y}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta N}{\delta x}[/tex] )/ N

I get F(x,y) so this is not helping.

The other

([tex]\frac{\delta N}{\delta x}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\delta M}{\delta y}[/tex]) / M

Get G(x,y) nothing

and the other cases doesn't help at all because multiplying by x or y or X^2 or y^2 wouldn't end up in f(u) u=x/y or u=xy.
So maybe this book was trying to make headaches on students.

Anyway thanks for the help to all.

Let y=kx,

then you find that k=-1

so, y=-x is the answer.

1. What is the difference between an integral factor and an exact differential equation?

An integral factor is a function that is used to solve a first-order differential equation. It is multiplied to the entire equation to make it easier to integrate. An exact differential equation is a special type of first-order differential equation where the solution can be found by taking the partial derivatives of both sides of the equation.

2. How do you determine if a differential equation is exact?

A differential equation is exact if it can be written in the form M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0, where M and N are functions of x and y. To determine if an equation is exact, you can check if the partial derivative of M with respect to y is equal to the partial derivative of N with respect to x.

3. What is the process for solving a first-order equation using an integral factor?

To solve a first-order differential equation using an integral factor, you first need to find the integral factor by multiplying a suitable function to both sides of the equation. Then, you can integrate both sides and solve for the constant of integration to get the general solution. Finally, you can use initial conditions to find the particular solution.

4. Can you explain the concept of an integrating factor in more detail?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve a differential equation. It is typically represented by the letter 'µ' and is multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it easier to integrate. The choice of integrating factor is not unique and can vary depending on the equation. It is often chosen to make one side of the equation a total derivative, simplifying the integration process.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving first-order equations using integral factors and exact differential equations?

First-order differential equations are used to model various real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Solving these equations using techniques like integral factors and exact differentials can help predict and understand these phenomena, making them essential tools in fields like biology, physics, and engineering.