Is y(x) always less than 3 for all x?

In summary: This is called the "lower bound" or "boundary condition." In summary, the final problem was to show that y(x)<3 for all x for all y that are defined.
Newtime
I just took an exam and the final problem was the following:

dy/dx = (y-3) e^(cos(xy))

y(1)=1

prove that y(x) < 3 for all x for all y that are defined.

To be honest, I tried a few things but realized I didn't know where to start. I can show that the limit of the slope from neg. infinity to infinity is zero which means 3 is an asymptote but I had no idea how to show this. Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you would eventually want to show is that at y=3 the surface has a max. which looks quite plausible, since y'=0=>y=3, since there is no othe possibility. Now i would take a delta neigbourhood of 3 and see how does y' change sign around it.

The other possibility would be to try to solve that differential eq. so we would retrieve our function y, and then we could play with some inequalities in there...but i don't seem to have any ideas so far, as how to solve this diff. eq.

Last edited:
Note that y'(3)= 0. One thing that tells us is that y(x)= 3 for all x satisfies the differential equation dy/dx= (y- 3) ecos(xy) with initial value y(x0)= 3.

Further, solutions to this differential equation are unique for any initial value. (Because (y- 3)ecos(xy) is continuous in both variables and differentiable with respect to y so it satisfies the conditions for the "existence and uniqueness" theorem.)

If y(x) satisfying that differential equation were ever equal to 3 at, say, x= x0, then we would have two distinct solutions satisfying the differential equation and y(x0)= 3, contradicting the uniqueness of y(x)= 3.

Since any solution to the differential equation is continuous and cannot cross y= 3, if y< 3 for any value of x, it must always be less than x.

1. What is a first order IVP?

A first order IVP (initial value problem) is a type of differential equation that involves a first derivative and an initial condition. It describes the relationship between a variable and its rate of change at a specific starting point.

2. How is a first order IVP solved?

A first order IVP is solved by using a variety of techniques, such as separation of variables, integrating factor, or substitution. The solution is typically expressed in terms of the initial condition.

3. What is the significance of the initial condition in a first order IVP?

The initial condition is the starting point for the differential equation and is used to determine the specific solution. It represents the value of the function at a specific point and helps to uniquely define the solution to the equation.

4. What are some real-life applications of first order IVPs?

First order IVPs are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer. They are also used in economics, finance, and engineering to analyze and make predictions about various systems.

5. What are the limitations of first order IVPs?

First order IVPs can only model relationships between a single variable and its rate of change. They do not account for higher derivatives or multiple variables, which may be necessary for more complex systems. Additionally, the equations may not have exact solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solution.