What is the General Solution to a First Order Linear Differential Equation?

In summary, the student was having difficulty simplifying an integral and was looking for help. They found help by using a u-substitution and integrating ln(x) by using the separation of variable method.
robbondo

Homework Statement

Find the General Solution:

[tex] xy\prime + (\ln{x})y = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I used the separation of variable method to get

[tex] \frac{y\prime}{y} = -\frac{\ln{x}}{x} [/tex]

Then I took the integral of both side to get

[tex] \ln{y} = -( x \ln{x} - x )( \ln{x} ) + C [/tex]

then I got rid of the ln(y) and factored out the x on the other side to get

[tex] y = ce^{-x \ln{x} ( \ln{x} - 1)} [/tex]

The back of the book tells me I should get

[tex] y = ce^{-(\ln{x})^{2}/2} [/tex]

I think what I'm having trouble with is the algebra involved in simplifying the exponent amongst other things... So how do I get what I have, to what I'm supposed to get?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integrating ln(x)/x again. It didn't go very well. Try differentiating what you got, you won't get ln(x)/x.

I thought that might be wrong. Well since it can be separated into (lnx)*(1/x) I integrated them seperatley and multiplied them. So the integration table in my book has the integral of ln(x) to be (xlnx-x) then times (ln(x)) gives me (ln(x))(xlnx-x)... I can't seem to find how to integrat ln in my old calc. text. Is that where I'm screwing up?

Try a simple u-substitution. The right one makes for a very simple result.

Whoa! There is no such integral product rule. It's a simple u substitution. Set u=ln(x) and change the variable to u.

Dang! (said in best Napolean Dynamite voice)... I really got to go back and refresh myself on the ol' integration methods. Thanks for your help

I used u=lnx of cours to get du=1/x so it simplifies to udu etc...

Thanks for the help!

since my text is saying integral of ln(abs(u)) = u ln(abs(u)) - u, is where I went wrong? but I wouldn't think abs value would make a big diff.

1. What is a first-order linear differential equation?

A first-order linear differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivative, where the function is raised to the first power and is not multiplied by any other functions. It can be written in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x.

2. How can first-order linear differential equations be solved?

First-order linear differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as the method of integrating factors, separation of variables, and variation of parameters. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the derivative and then integrating both sides to find the solution.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving first-order linear differential equations?

Initial conditions are necessary when solving first-order linear differential equations because they provide a starting point for finding the particular solution. These conditions typically involve the values of the function and its derivative at a specific point, which can be used to determine the constants in the general solution.

4. Can first-order linear differential equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, first-order linear differential equations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, biology, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving first-order linear differential equations?

A common mistake is to forget to include the constant of integration when integrating both sides of the equation. Another mistake is to assume that the particular solution is the same as the general solution, without taking into account the initial conditions. It is also important to double-check any algebraic manipulations to avoid errors in the final solution.