1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First-Order Linear Differential Equation Problem

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    Consider the equation [tex] Ly'+Ry=E\sin(\omega x) [/tex] , where [tex] L,R,E,\omega [/tex] are positive constants.
    1) Compute the solution [tex] \phi [/tex] satisfying [tex] \phi(0)=0 .[/tex]
    2) Show that this solution may be written in the form [tex] \phi(x)=\frac{E\omega L}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}e^{-Rx/L}+\frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}\sin(\omega x-\alpha) ,[/tex]
    where [tex] \alpha [/tex] is the angle satisfying [tex] \cos (\alpha)=\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}} [/tex] , [tex] \sin(\alpha)=\frac{\omega L}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}. [/tex]

I have already solved part (1) of this problem but am having some difficulty converting the solution that I computed for part (1) to that which will allow me to answer part (2). A summary of the work that I did to solve part (1) can be found immediately following this sentence.

[tex] Ly'+Ry=E\sin(\omega x) \iff y'=\frac{Ry}{L}=\frac{E\sin(\omega x)}{L} [/tex] .
    [tex] Let \ a(x)=R/L \implies \int a(x)dx=Rx/L .[/tex] [tex] \therefore e^{\int a(x)dx}=e^{Rx/L}. [/tex]

[tex] e^{Rx/L}\left[y'+\frac{Rx}{L}\right]=e^{Rx/L}\left[\frac{E\sin(\omega x)}{L}\right] \implies \left(e^{Rx/L}y\right)'=\frac{E}{L}\left[e^{Rx/L}\sin(\omega x)\right] [/tex]
    [tex] \implies \int \left(e^{Rx/L}y\right)'dx=\frac{E}{L}\int e^{Rx/L}\sin(\omega x)dx=\frac{E}{L}\left[\frac{1}{(R/L)^2+\omega^2}\right]\left[e^{Rx/L}\right]\left[\frac{R}{L}\sin(\omega x)-\omega\cos(\omega x)\right]+C [/tex]
    [tex] =E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]e^{Rx/L}+C \implies y=\phi(x)=E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+Ce^{-Rx/L}. [/tex]

[tex] \phi(0)=E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+Ce^0=-E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+C=0 \implies C=E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right] .[/tex]

[tex] \therefore \phi(x)=E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+E\left[\frac{L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]e^{-Rx/L}. [/tex]

What I cannot seem to figure out how it is that I am supposed to convert the first component of the solution, [tex] E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right] [/tex] , into [tex] \frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}\sin(\omega x-\alpha) [/tex] as is written in part (2) of the above problem. It would be appreciated if someone could provide me with some additional insight into how to complete part (2) (it appears that I am probably not seeing what it is that I need to do in order to solve the remainder of the problem). Prompt responses are greately appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that

[tex]\sin(\omega x - \alpha) = \sin(\omega x)\cos(\alpha) - \cos(\omega x)\sin(\alpha)[/tex]

Does that help?

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3
    Thank you for posting that identity. I have made some modifications to the original post-it appears that some typos were made while I was in the process of typing. All of the equations should now look more hospitable. Thank you for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?