1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order non linear DE

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following DE: [itex]2xyy'=4x^2+3y^2[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Bernoulli's DE: [itex]y'+P(x)y=Q(x)y^2[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the original DE isn't under Bernoulli's form, but I have thought a lot on the problem and my feeling is that if I could find a change of variable to transform the general DE into a Bernoulli's equation, I'd be done. I have tried [itex]z=4x^2+3y^2[/itex], so [itex]z'=8x+6yy'[/itex] but this leads me nowhere. I am not even sure I can reduce the original DE into a Bernoulli's equation. This is the only way I think I could solve the DE, I don't see any other way.
    I'd love some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    Divide both sides by x^2

=)

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Don't you think this should be homogenous ODE instead of Bernoulli? :smile:

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Okay thanks guys. I divided by x² but was stuck right away.
    I checked out if it was homogeneous and indeed it was homogeneous of first order. I then opened my cookbook for DE's (Boas, 2nd edition) and followed his advice. I wrote the DE under the form [itex]P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy=0[/itex], with [itex]P(x,y)=-4x^2-3y^2[/itex] and [itex]Q(x,y)=2xy[/itex]. He says I can write the DE under the form [itex]y'=f(y/x)[/itex].
    And thus the change of variable [itex]v=y/x[/itex] is appropriate, according to him. The DE should then be separable. However I tried but got stuck.
    I reach [itex]2x^3vdv+2x^2v^2dx-4x^2-3[x^2(dv)^2+xvdvdx+v^2(dx)^2]=0[/itex]. I don't know how to deal with the squared differentials nor the crossed ones (dxdv).
    Any further help will also be appreciated. :)

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You should not have squared differentials. If you are using the substitution v = y/x , presumably to replace the y , then you need to differentiate implicitly y = vx to find dy/dx in terms of dv/dx . You should be able to use this to replace y' with v' (and also y/x with v ) to produce a transformed differential equation that is easier to work with. (The result isn't pretty, but it is separable and integrable...)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. Sep 21, 2011 #6
    Just to give you a little hint:

[tex]2xyy'=4x^{2}+3y^{2}[/tex]

divide by 2xy throughout:

[tex]y'=2(x/y)+3(y/x)[/tex]

Let v=y/x ,

dv/dx = ?

8. Sep 21, 2011 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks once again guys!
    [itex]y=xv \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}=v+x \frac{dv}{dx}[/itex].
    Thus the original DE transforms into [itex]v+x\frac{dv}{dx}=2v+\frac{3}{2v}\Rightarrow \frac{xdv}{dx}=v+\frac{3}{2v} \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{x}=\left ( v+\frac{3}{2v} \right ) ^{-1}dv[/itex]. Now I must integrate to get v(x). Once I have v(x) I divide it by x in order to get y(x).
    I tried this way too but strangely I don't get "nice" stuff. [itex]dv/dx= \frac{1}{x^2} \left ( \frac{xdy}{dx}-y \right )[/itex]. If I isolate dy/dx, I don't even reach the one I got from the above way. All this, despite that y=xv in the first case and v=y/x in the second case. I don't understand how I can reach a different differential for dy/dx...

9. Sep 21, 2011 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

OK, so far. (And, yes, icystrike has a small typo in the resulting equation. The "3" should be "3/2"...)

You shouldn't still have that "y" kicking around in there. (I thought you were going from icystrike's equation, so this is a little puzzling. You should again have [itex] v + x\frac{dv}{dx} = 2v + \frac{3}{2v} [/itex].)

As I said above, the result isn't going to be very pretty. (Solutions of DEs often aren't...) You would reduce your transformed equation to [itex]\frac{dx}{x} = ( \frac{2v}{2v^{2} + 3} ) dv[/itex] and integrate from there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. Sep 21, 2011 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you again for your help.
    Ah I see.

Well I used the derivative of the quotient y(x)/x. It's [y'(x)x-y(x)]/x²
    I see. I think you have a small typo in the right hand side (I think you forgot a ^-1).

11. Sep 21, 2011 #10

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I already added the ratios and "flipped over" the result from your differential equation result for v : [itex] ( v+\frac{3}{2v} ) ^{-1} = \frac{2v}{2v^{2} + 3} [/itex] .

12. Sep 21, 2011 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah right I see now!
    Do you have an idea what's my problem using icystrike's suggestion? Why can't I get rid of the y term and I don't reach the same expression for dv/dx.

13. Sep 22, 2011 #12

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

To be frank, I am still trying to figure out how you arrived at your result. The intent of icystrike's suggestion was to use v = y/x to completely eliminate y from the equation; you use Bernoulli's (whichever of the nine of them it was) idea to transform the original differential equation into a new one involving v and x that (hopefully) is easier to solve.

By making only a partial substitution, you created a situation that is harder to resolve algebraically than it needs to be. (It can probably be solved from there, but less easily. You would get rid of the y term by using y = vx .)

14. Sep 22, 2011 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation contains y2 and 2yy'=(y2)', this suggest the substitution z=y2. With this substitution, the equation becomes linear.

ehild

15. Sep 22, 2011 #14

fluidistic

Gold Member

Icystricke asked me dv/dx rather than dy/dx in function of dv/dx.
    What I did for his way is [itex]v=y/x \Rightarrow \frac{dv}{dx}= \left ( \frac{xdy}{dx} -y \right ) \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex].
    WOW! This work too! After isolating dy/dx and replacing y/x by v, I reach exactly the same expression for dy/dx than you. Nice!
    Thanks guys for all your help. :biggrin:

Edit: Okay thanks a lot ehild. I'm going to try this tomorrow (it's past 2 am here).

16. Sep 22, 2011 #15

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then you live far to west from me. :smile:
    Just to be able to check your derivation: it should be very easy, and results in y2=cx3-4x2.

ehild

17. Sep 22, 2011 #16

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Thank you -- that's good spotting and the result for y is faster to extract than it is to do so from v . (I assumed from the initial post that it was required to use Bernoulli's method.)

18. Sep 22, 2011 #17
    Yes TS should try this method too. That is a direct consequence of implicit diff.

19. Sep 22, 2011 #18

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks. So I reached the same solution as yours. Problem solved. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook