Can this first order non-linear ODE be solved for all values of r?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and its physical implications for different values of r. It is mentioned that the equation can be solved using methods such as numerical computation or analytical solving, but the latter may be arduous and result in a complicated formula involving Elliptic Integrals and usual functions. It is suggested that for a physical problem, it may be simpler to use direct numerical integration. The conversation also touches on the limitations of the equation for r<1, as well as a potential solution given by Maple. However, there is some confusion about the solution and it is mentioned that the equation is autonomous and can be reduced to a quadrature.
LAHLH
Hi,

I have the differential equation [tex] \left(\frac{df}{dr}\right)^2-\frac{1}{r-1}\left(1+\frac{1}{4r^3}\right)=0[/tex], does anyone know how to attack this? (I'm led to believe this is only possible if r>1, not sure why not r<1, although I can see it does blow up at r=1)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral (below) involves Eliptic Integrals.
If it is a physical problem, better use numerical computation.

Attachments

• Integrate.JPG
    Integrate.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 395
JJacquelin said:
The integral (below) involves Eliptic Integrals.
If it is a physical problem, better use numerical computation.

It is a physical problem, did you manage to solve it in Maple/Mathematica under some set of assumptions in terms of Elliptic functions? I couldn't get Maple to do anything with it.

Is there any obvious reason this integral is impossible for r<1 without actually doing it?

Since we have to integrate a function of the form sqrt[P(x)/Q(x)] where P(x) and Q(x) are polynomials of degre 4 at the most, it is known that the result will be a combination of several Elliptic Integrals and usual functions.
Theoreticaly, the anylitical solving is possible, but probably very arduous.
Mathematical package for formal calculus will probably give a big and complicated formula as a result, with Elliptic functions appearing in the formula.
In the scope of physical problem, all ends with numbers. So, I suppose that it would be simpler to carry out the computation by direct numerical integration, than deriving first a complicated formula and then using this formula to compute the numerical results.

Attachments

• Integral.JPG
    Integral.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 392
I mean I don't really need the explicit functions or anything all the author claims is that it can't be solved (or at least doesn't make sense physically, maybe it will give complex or infinite answers or something in the r<1 region), so I'm just trying to see that really.

Yes, that is the point. Your equation is the same as
[tex]\left(\frac{df}{dr}\right)^2= \frac{1}{r-1}\left(1+ \frac{1}{4r^3}\right)[/tex]

If r< 1 then
[tex]\frac{1}{r- 1}\left(1+ \frac{1}{4r^3}\right)[/tex]
is negative so that, if it is equal to the square of df/dr, dr/dr must be imaginary. If we are interpreting f(r) in some physical sense that cannot happen.

In the scope of physical problem, there are other ways to obtain approximative results with small deviation (but not mathematically exact).
Depending on the order of magnitude of r , the function to be integrated might be replaced by another approximative function simpler to integrate.
Another way consists in using series development of the function, with a sufficient number of terms, depending on the range of integration.

Your equation, given in your first message, implies r>1.
May be, in the case r<1, the correct physical model is different than the model in the case r>1. So, the equations might be different in both cases.

Last edited:
although I can see it does blow up at r=1
That is not true.
Close to r=1, then f(r) is equivalent to (sqrt[5(r-1)]/4)+constant.
sqrt(5(r-1))/4 doesn't blow up, but on the contrary tends to 0.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is the point. Your equation is the same as
[tex]\left(\frac{df}{dr}\right)^2= \frac{1}{r-1}\left(1+ \frac{1}{4r^3}\right)[/tex]

If r< 1 then
[tex]\frac{1}{r- 1}\left(1+ \frac{1}{4r^3}\right)[/tex]
is negative so that, if it is equal to the square of df/dr, dr/dr must be imaginary. If we are interpreting f(r) in some physical sense that cannot happen.

Oh yes, of course. Thanks alot

Actually, maple does give a solution:

[tex]f \left( r \right) =1/4\,\ln \left( r \right) +5/4\,\ln \left( r-1
\right) \left( r-1 \right) -r+5/4-1/4\,r\ln \left( r \right) -1/8\,
{r}^{-1}+{\it \_C1}\,r+{\it \_C2}
[/tex]

The equation is autonomous , so you can reduce it to a quadrature. I haven't checked it myself, though

gato_ said:
Actually, maple does give a solution:

[tex]f \left( r \right) =1/4\,\ln \left( r \right) +5/4\,\ln \left( r-1
\right) \left( r-1 \right) -r+5/4-1/4\,r\ln \left( r \right) -1/8\,
{r}^{-1}+{\it \_C1}\,r+{\it \_C2}
[/tex]

The equation is autonomous , so you can reduce it to a quadrature. I haven't checked it myself, though

How did you get Maple to give that?

Sorry. I read [tex]d^{2}f/dx^{2}[/tex] instead of [tex](df/dx)^{2}[/tex]

What is a first order non linear ODE?

A first order non linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It includes non-linear terms, meaning that the derivatives are not directly proportional to the function itself.

What is the difference between a linear and non linear ODE?

A linear ODE has terms that are directly proportional to the function and its derivatives, while a non linear ODE has terms that are not directly proportional. This means that a linear ODE can be solved using basic algebraic techniques, while a non linear ODE often requires more advanced methods.

What are some common methods for solving first order non linear ODEs?

Some common methods for solving first order non linear ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Other methods such as power series and Laplace transforms can also be used for more complex equations.

Why are first order non linear ODEs important in science?

First order non linear ODEs are important in science because they can be used to model a wide range of natural phenomena. Many physical, biological, and social systems can be described using non linear ODEs, making them a powerful tool for understanding and predicting real-world processes.

What are some real-world applications of first order non linear ODEs?

Some real-world applications of first order non linear ODEs include population growth models, chemical reaction kinetics, and electrical circuit analysis. They are also used in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering to study various systems and processes.