Solving a Nonlinear ODE for Parachute Area in Free Fall

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving free fall and parachutes. The equation for the problem is m(dV/dt) = mg-(1/2)(air density)(drag constant)(area parachute)(V)^2, which can be simplified to m(dV/dt) = mg-kV^2. The speaker is familiar with separable ODEs and has obtained the form dV/dt = g-(k/m)V^2, but is seeking help with the next steps.
francisg3

Homework Statement

We recently discussed a problem in class involving free fall and parachutes.One of the examples was to solve for the area of a parachute in drag,gravity,air density,mass and the speed at which the object deployed the parachute and the speed it hit the ground out. I'm pretty sure I know how to do the porlbem if I could only get past the first few steps. My guess is that I need to solve the following nonlinear ode:

m (dV/dt) = mg-(1/2)(air density)(drag constant)(area parachute)(V)^2
i replaced the equation with something like this to simplify it:
m (dV/dt) = mg-kV^2 where k is all those constants

now I'm familiar with seperable ode's and this is the form i obtained:
dV/dt = g-(k/m)V^2

from then on i am lost, i think i just need a bit of help onto the next step or two then i should be able to get the problem rolling. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi francisg3! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
francisg3 said:
dV/dt = g-(k/m)V^2

yes, so dV/(g-(k/m)V2) = dt :wink:

And you can use partial fractions to integrate that.

1. What is a first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

A first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. It is called nonlinear because the equation cannot be expressed in the form of a linear combination of the function and its derivatives. It is a common type of differential equation used in modeling various physical phenomena.

2. How do you solve a first order nonlinear ODE?

The general method for solving a first order nonlinear ODE is by using an appropriate technique such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of substitution. It is important to first identify the type of ODE and then apply the appropriate method to obtain a solution. In some cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What are the applications of first order nonlinear ODEs?

First order nonlinear ODEs are widely used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They can be used to model a wide range of phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electric circuits. They are also essential in the study of chaos theory and chaos-based cryptography.

4. Can first order nonlinear ODEs have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a first order nonlinear ODE to have multiple solutions. This is because the solution of an ODE depends on the initial conditions and different initial conditions can lead to different solutions. In some cases, a nonlinear ODE may have an infinite number of solutions, making it a challenging problem to solve.

5. What are the limitations of solving first order nonlinear ODEs analytically?

One of the main limitations of solving first order nonlinear ODEs analytically is that not all equations can be solved in closed form. In other words, it may not be possible to find an exact solution using algebraic or transcendental functions. In such cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate a solution. Additionally, some equations may have very complex solutions that are difficult to interpret or analyze.