Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order notch

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Hello.

Is there any way to build a band reject filter ('notch') whose transfer function, H(s), has only two complex zeros and only one real pole?

For example:

[itex]H(s) = \displaystyle\frac{s^2+4}{s+1000}[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2
    Here is the problem with this.

The pole would determine the where magnitude response starts to decrease significantly at the lower frequencies of the trough. One zero would determine around what frequencies the the magnitude response would become approximately level (the trough of the magnitude response), and the other zero would determine at what frequency the magnitude response would increase significantly, at the higher frequencies of the trough.

One more pole would be required to level off this increase. Otherwise the magnitude response may look something like the attached image.

Attached Files:

• 3ZP.png
      3ZP.png
      File size:
      2.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Aug 16, 2011 #3

rbj

we generally have a small problem (the nasty differentiator) when the order of the numerator is higher than that of the denominator in a transfer function.

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4
    I understand everything you say. However, there is an issue that I'd like to be clarified.

As you can see in the image attached two posts above, if the system input is limited, |x(t)| < B (B real), then the system output won't be limited too, because the magnitude response will tend to infinity at high frequencies. However, this electric circuit has only a pole, which is in the negative real axis, so the system is stable.

How can these facts both agree?

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5
    I've been thinking of a circuit whose transfer function has the same format as that written above. I've attached its diagram.

[tex]H(s) = -\displaystyle\frac{L}{R}\displaystyle\frac{s^2+ \displaystyle\frac{1}{LC_2}}{s+\displaystyle\frac{1}{RC_1}}[/tex]

Is it incorrect?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook