Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order ODE IVP use in Heat equation of ball with heat source.

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    This should be a simple ODE problem inside Heat problem of ball with steady state heat source. I am going to present the question first and then I am going to put in a little bit of the formulas to bring this into the big picture:

[tex] B'_{jnm}(t) + \lambda^2_{nj} c^2 B_{jnm}(t) = q_{jnm} [/tex] (1)

and

[tex] B_{jnm}(0)= f_{jnm}[/tex](2)

I want to solve for [itex]B_{jnm}(t)[/itex].

(1) and (2) form a simple first order ODE with initial value problem. I cannot get the result from the book. This is my derivations:

Using variation of parameter: Let [itex] B_{jnm}(t)= B_{jnmc} + B_{jnmp} [/itex]

[itex]B_{jnmc} [/itex] is solution of associate homogeneous equation and [itex]B_{jnmp} [/itex] is the particular solution of the non-homogeneous DE.

[tex]B'_{jnmc} + \lambda^2_{nj} c^2 B_{jnmc} = 0 \Rightarrow\; B_{jnmc} = C_1 e^{-\lambda^2_{nj} c^2 t} [/tex]

[tex] B_{jnmp} = u B_{jnmc} = u C_1 e^{-\lambda^2_{nj} c^2 t} [/tex]

[tex] B_{jnmp} = C_1 e^{-\lambda^2_{nj} c^2 t} \int \frac{g_{jnm}}{C_1} e^{\lambda^2_{nj} c^2 t} dt = C_1 [\frac{g_{jnm}}{\lambda^2_{nj} c^2}] [/tex]

[tex] B_{jnm}(t) = B_{jnmc} + B_{jnmp} = C_1 e^{-\lambda^2_{nj} c^2 t} + \frac{g_{jnm}} {\lambda^2_{nj} c^2} [/tex]

Initial condition:

[tex] B_{jnm}(0) = f_{jnm} = C_1 + \frac{g_{jnm}} {\lambda^2_{nj} c^2} [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow C_1 = f_{jnm} - \frac{q_{jnm}} {\lambda^2_{nj} c^2} [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2
    I found out what I did wrong already. It was so stupid!! I forgot the constant. I'll edit the original post.

Please ignor this. Thanks

Moderator, if you can, please delete this entire post.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook