How Do You Solve for Position x(t) Given a Force Dependent on Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position function x(t) for a particle of mass m subject to a force F(v) = bv^2, with initial position and speed of zero and vi respectively. The process involves using Newton's second law of motion and integrating to find the constants a and b, which are then used to solve for x(t).
hanilk2006
A particle of mass m is subject to a force F(v) = bv^2. The initial position is zero, and the initial speed is vi find x(t)

so far

m*dv/dx*v = -bv^2
m*dv/dx = -bv
integral m/-bv*dv = integral dx
m/-b*ln(v) + a = x + b

What do I do with the constants? i thought i was suppose to put in 'a' as vi and b as 0, but then when i integrate again for v, so i can get x(t) function, what do i use to fill in that constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does m*dv/dx*v = -bv^2 come from? Newton's second law of motion implies F=m*dv/dt.

dv/dx*v=dv/dx*dx/dt = dv/dt = a

OK. You use your constants in the integrations: the lower constant on the dx integral is the starting location = 0, and the lower constant on the dv integral is the initial velocity = v_i.

The upper constants are the unknowns ... your integral equation will provide a relation between them.

I would suggest the following steps to solve the first order ODE and find x(t):

1. Start by writing the given force equation in terms of acceleration (a) instead of velocity (v). This can be done by using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. Substitute the given force equation into the formula F = ma, and rearrange the equation to get a in terms of v: a = bv^2/m.

3. Now, we have the acceleration equation in terms of v. We can use this to write the first order ODE as dv/dt = bv^2/m.

4. To solve the ODE, we can use the method of separation of variables, where we separate the variables on each side of the equation and integrate both sides. This will give us an equation in terms of v and t.

5. After integrating, we will have an equation in the form of ln(v) = -bt/m + C, where C is a constant of integration.

6. To find the value of the constant C, we can use the initial conditions given in the problem. In this case, the initial position is zero, so we can set v = vi (initial speed) and t = 0 in the equation obtained in step 5. This will give us C = ln(vi).

7. Now, we have the complete equation in terms of v and t, which is ln(v) = -bt/m + ln(vi). We can simplify this to v = vi*e^(-bt/m).

8. To find x(t), we can use the fact that v = dx/dt and integrate both sides with respect to t. This will give us x(t) = -m/(bt) + vi*t + D, where D is a constant of integration.

9. To find the value of D, we can use the initial conditions again. In this case, the initial position is zero, so we can set x = 0 and t = 0 in the equation obtained in step 8. This will give us D = 0.

10. Therefore, the final equation for x(t) is x(t) = -m/(bt) + vi*t.

I would also suggest checking your work and units to ensure that the final equation makes sense and is consistent with the given information. I hope this helps

What is a first order ODE?

A first order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It involves only one independent variable and one dependent variable.

What are the different methods for solving a first order ODE?

There are several methods for solving a first order ODE, including separation of variables, integrating factor, substitution, and exact equations. The choice of method depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

What are initial conditions in a first order ODE?

Initial conditions are values that are given for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain of the ODE. These conditions are used to find the particular solution of the ODE.

How does a first order ODE differ from a second order ODE?

A first order ODE involves only one independent variable, while a second order ODE involves two independent variables. Additionally, a second order ODE involves the second derivative of the dependent variable, while a first order ODE only involves the first derivative.

What are some real-world applications of first order ODEs?

First order ODEs are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering and physics to describe motion and other physical processes.