1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order ODE quesiton

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    A particle of mass m is subject to a force F(v) = bv^2. The initial position is zero, and the initial speed is vi find x(t)

so far

m*dv/dx*v = -bv^2
    m*dv/dx = -bv
    integral m/-bv*dv = integral dx
    m/-b*ln(v) + a = x + b

What do I do with the constants? i thought i was suppose to put in 'a' as vi and b as 0, but then when i integrate again for v, so i can get x(t) function, what do i use to fill in that constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where does m*dv/dx*v = -bv^2 come from? Newton's second law of motion implies F=m*dv/dt.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    dv/dx*v=dv/dx*dx/dt = dv/dt = a

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK. You use your constants in the integrations: the lower constant on the dx integral is the starting location = 0, and the lower constant on the dv integral is the initial velocity = v_i.

The upper constants are the unknowns ... your integral equation will provide a relation between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook