1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order ODE Stability

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the market for a certain good, the price p(t) adjusts continuously in the presence of excess supply or demand:
    [itex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex] = F(D(p)-S(p)) where F(0) = 0, F'>0.
    Obtain the condition for stability of the equilibrium price p* in terms of the slopes D'(p*) and S'(p*), and illustrate stable and unstable equilibria graphically for straight-line supply and demand schedules.

2. Relevant equations
    General I suppose, p' = F(p)

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm not sure if it's correct or delves deeply enough:
    p'=F(D(p)-S(p))
    We know there would be an equilibrium point where p'=0 and therefore where F(D(p)-S(p))=0.
    Since F(0) = 0, we know that at least one equilibrium exists at p=0, so p*=0. From that, we can see that p'=0=F(D(0)-S(0)) and therefore at p*, D(0) = S(0).

To test stability we would look at the sign of p'' at p*.
    p'' = F'(D(p*)-S(p*))(D'(p*)-S'(p*))
    Since we're given F'>0, we know that the D'(p*)-S'(p*) dictates stability.
    So if D'(p*) > S'(p*) then p'' >0 and p* is unstable.
    Else, if D'(p*) < S'(p*) then p'' <0 and p* is stable.

That's what I've come up with. It seems a bit simple which leads me to believe I may be missing something. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted