Solve First Order ODE: x^2yy' = (y^2-1)^(3/2)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for the equation x^{2} y y\prime = (y^{2} - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} using separation of variables and integration. The conversation also addresses confusion about the constant in the solution and the meaning of "equivalent" in this context. It is mentioned that there are additional solutions where y' is equal to zero.
robbondo

Homework Statement

Find all solutions

[tex] x^{2} y y\prime = (y^{2} - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use separation of variables because it isn't linear.

so I get

[tex] \frac{ydy}{(y^{2} - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{1}{dxx^{2}}[/tex]

Now I'm kinda stuck at how to integrate this. I think I'm supposed to use partial fraction expansion, but since there's the 3/2 exponent, I'm confused as to how to go about doing that. Tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the right hand side of your equation to make sure the dx is in the right spot. Try substitution on the left

Thanks, that helped. So now I substituted take the integral of both sides and I get

[tex] x = (y^{2}-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} + c [/tex]

This isn't matching up with the correct answer though. I took the integral and got -1/x on the left and 1 / - (y^2 - 1)^1/2 + c on the right. So I just took out the negative signs and changed to the reciprocal on the both sides, what are you think?

Well that would be correct if the constant wasn't there but because it is...you just can't simply invert both sides

if you brought [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{y^2-1}} +c [/tex] to the same base and then invert...that would be correct

ahh I see. I got the correct answer the only thing that confuses me is that in the book the answer says [tex] y \equiv \pm 1 [/tex]... Actually I still don't really know what "equivalent" represents in this class.

well normally for the function to be continuous i thought it would be y not equal to +/- 1

robbondo said:
ahh I see. I got the correct answer the only thing that confuses me is that in the book the answer says [tex] y \equiv \pm 1 [/tex]... Actually I still don't really know what "equivalent" represents in this class.

In addition to the solutions you get by integrating, the equation has solutions where y' is identically equal to zero. These are them.

So if if it didn't say " all solutions " I could just say that y=1, but what's the point of having the weird three line equal sign?

It just means y(x)=1 for all x. I.e. y is IDENTICALLY equal to one. Sure, if you don't need all solutions, then you could just pick an easy one.

1. What is the general solution to this first order ODE?

The general solution to this first order ODE is y = ±1/(√(C + x^2)), where C is an arbitrary constant.

2. How do you solve for the particular solution to this first order ODE?

To solve for the particular solution, you will need to use an appropriate initial condition that will allow you to determine the value of the constant C in the general solution. Then, substitute this value into the general solution to get the particular solution.

3. Can this first order ODE be solved using separation of variables?

Yes, this first order ODE can be solved using separation of variables. You will need to rewrite the equation as ydy/dx = (y^2-1)^(3/2)/x^2 and then integrate both sides with respect to y and x, respectively.

4. How do you interpret the solution to this first order ODE?

The solution represents the family of curves that satisfy the given differential equation. The value of the constant C will determine the specific curve in the family of solutions.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions for this first order ODE?

Yes, this first order ODE is only applicable when x ≠ 0 and y ≠ ±1. If x = 0, the equation becomes undefined. If y = ±1, the equation becomes 0 = 0, which is not a valid differential equation.