Solving "ydx - \left( {x + y^3 } \right)dy = 0" with an Integrating Factor

In summary: I might do that if I can't get the answer or if I have the time but usually I just verify it graphically. I'll try out your idea in the future though.In summary, to solve the given equation \left( {x + y^3 } \right)y' = y by finding a suitable integrating factor, we need to express it in the form of mdx+ndx=0 and then find the integrating factor by raising to the power of e the integral of (1/n)(dm/dy - dn/dx). Once we have obtained an exact equation, we can use the technique of separation of variables to solve for the solution. However, when treating y as the independent variable, we need to be
Benny
Q. By finding a suitable integrating factor, solve the following equation:

[tex]\left( {x + y^3 } \right)y' = y[/tex] (treat y as the independent variable).

Answer: Exact equation is [tex]y^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{dx}}{{dy}}} \right) - xy^{ - 2} = y[/tex] leading to [tex]x = y\left( {k + \frac{{y^2 }}{2}} \right)[/tex].

I'm having trouble indentifying the type of the DE.

[tex]
\left( {x + y^3 } \right)y' = y
[/tex]

[tex]
ydx - \left( {x + y^3 } \right)dy = 0
[/tex]

Writing the equation as I did above makes it kind of look like an exact(or one that can be made exact) DE but I'm still not sure what to do. I'm also being unsure about how to "treat y as the independent variable." All I can gather from that instruction is to find x = x(y). Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need an integrating factor to solve this. It's an inexact DE. When they say "treat y as the independent variable", probably means look for a integrating factor in function of y [itex] \mu = f(y) [/itex].

Thanks for the help Cyclovenom.

express the equation in the form of mdx+ndx=0.then u get the integrating factor by raising to te power of e the integral of (1/n)(dm/dy - dn/dx).THEN YOU GET AN EXACT EQUATION WHICH IS SEPARABLE

you'll need to treat x as the dependent variable

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{y}{x+y^{3}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dx}{dy}= \frac{x+y^{3}}{y} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dx}{dy} - \frac{x}{y} = y^{2} [/tex]

[tex] u(y)=e^{ \int \frac{1}{y} ~ dy} [/tex]

I'm sure you can go on from here

mathelord, can you elaborate more on your approach (preferably through latex)

Yeah thanks for the help I solved it when I got up. I think that in using the method that I did, I ignored the instruction to use the given method. Anyway after seeing GCT's answer it's become clear what I needed to do.

I'm pretty sure mathelord is referring to the technique where you get a solution of the form F(x,y) = c(in this case you can solve for x in terms of y). The dn/dx, dm/dy should be partial derivatives I'd say. Also I don't think it's possible to get an integrating factor in terms of x or y only, by using the equation that mathelord has given. I used [tex]\mu \left( y \right) = \exp \left( {\int {\frac{{\frac{{\partial N}}{{\partial x}} - \frac{{\partial M}}{{\partial y}}}}{M}} dy} \right)[/tex] where the original DE has been written in the form [tex]M\left( {x,y} \right)dx + N\left( {x,y} \right)dy = 0[/tex].

I have another question that I would like some help with.

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} - \frac{{y^2 }}{{x^2 }} = \frac{1}{4}
[/tex]

The general solution I get is:

[tex]
y = \frac{x}{2}\left( {\frac{2}{{ - 2c - 2\log \left| x \right|}} + 1} \right)
[/tex]

I am also given two ICs y(1) = 1 and y(1) = 1/2. For y(1) = 1 I get [tex]y = \frac{x}{{2 - \log \left| x \right|}} + \frac{x}{2}[/tex] which is the same as the book's answer. However, for y(1) = 1/2 the book's answer is "singular solution y = x/2." Can someone explain what that means to me? Using y(1) = 1/2 I get an answer similar to the one I got for y(1) = 1 so I don't know where y = x/2 came from.

Last edited:
Interesting! There were actually three different suggestions each of which gives the correct integrating factor!

Benny said:
Yeah thanks for the help I solved it when I got up..

What's the answer then? How do you know it's correct? It's implicitly defined. Can you generate a plot from it? Say, for the initial conditions y(0)=1? Just suggestions that's all. :smile:

Using y(1) = 1/2 I get an answer similar to the one I got for y(1) = 1

How? Doesn't it require you to solve:   1 - 1/c = 1   for c?

If you go back through your work, I guarantee you'll find you made an unwarranted assumption somewhere along the way.

(For those who like sloppy reasoning, you could get the "singular" solution by setting c = ∞)

saltydog said:
What's the answer then? How do you know it's correct? It's implicitly defined. Can you generate a plot from it? Say, for the initial conditions y(0)=1? Just suggestions that's all. :smile:

I know. I'm a pain. Here's the plot:

Attachments

• implicitplot.JPG
    implicitplot.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 318
Hurkyl - I must have made a mistake while I was solving the second one. Seeing as I had a general solution I didn't bother writing the second equation down on paper which might've been what caused me to overlook the equation you presented.

Saltydog - I was referring to my first question when I said I was able to solve it. I assume that the answer I got is correct since it agrees with the book's answer. I don't really have a habit of carrying out the differentiation and substituting back into every DE I try to solve.

What is an integrating factor and why is it used in solving differential equations?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a differential equation to make it easier to solve. It is used because it can transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one, making it easier to find a solution.

How do you determine the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

The integrating factor can be determined by looking at the coefficients of the differential equation. In the case of the equation "ydx - (x + y^3)dy = 0", the integrating factor is e^(x/y).

What is the general process for solving a differential equation using an integrating factor?

The general process involves multiplying both sides of the equation by the integrating factor, which will transform it into an exact differential equation. Then, the solution can be found by integrating both sides and solving for the dependent variable.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using an integrating factor to solve a differential equation?

One limitation is that the integrating factor may not always be easy to determine, and it may not exist for certain differential equations. Additionally, the solution may not be valid for all values of the independent variable, and further steps may be needed to find a general solution.

Are there any real-world applications for solving differential equations using an integrating factor?

Yes, differential equations with integrating factors are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model real-world phenomena. For example, they can be used to study the behavior of electrical circuits, population growth, and chemical reactions.