1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Reaction calculation

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The decomposition of AB is first order with a k = 2.3 x 10-7 s-1 at 45oC. If the initial concentration is 0.25 M, the concentration after 2.3 min is:

2. Relevant equations

ln[A]t = -kt x ln[A]0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have subbed in the values I have but I am not getting the right answer. I am unable to solve the logarithmic equation and need help there but also need to know if my method is correct.

I have subbed in:

ln[A]t = -2.3 x 10-7 x 138 (seconds) x ln.25

I am getting :

ln[A]t = 4.4 x 10-5

My problem is that I cannot remember how to solve that equation for [A]t. It's been a while since i looked at logarithmic equations. I have done google searches for the past hour and tried a few things but can't solve it. I'm not sure if my method is even correct in the first place.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is logarithm definition?

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3
    YES! I have figured it out. Sometimes I wonder if I have the aptitue to learn this chemistry stuff, but I am doing well so far and I am teaching myself so it's obviously not going to be easy all the way. Anyway.. this was where I left off last time.

ln[AB]t = -2.3 x 10-7 x 138 (seconds) + ln.25
    = -1.386

ln[AB]138 = -1.386
    [AB] = e-1.386 **This is the step that was killing me, simple logarithmic algebra)**

[AB] = .25M

Now, lets see how I get on with the rest of the problems!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook