1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order Transient Circuit

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    I'm having serious trouble understanding how to solve this problem using the differential equation method ( I MUST use this method). I provided the answer but my solution attempts are not producing the same result.

Here is the problem. [​IMG]

The first thing I need to do is find the voltage across the capacitor at time [tex]t_{0^-}[/tex]. By combining the 4k and 6k resistors and using voltage division I see that the voltage across the capacitor for [tex]t_(0^-)= 8V[/tex]

Now I'm confused here, should I also find the current in the circuit for [tex]t_(0^-)[/tex]?

Let me assume that I don't need this parameter and then I go on the analyze this circuit for [tex]t_(0^+)[/tex]

For this circuit all we have is one loop consisting of the capacitor and the 4k and 6k resistors.
    Now I can write and equation for the current around this loop:
    [tex]C\frac{dV_c(t)}{dt} + 6ki(t)=0[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2
    Have you tried using a combination of Kirchoff's voltage and current laws? I tried it and got three equations and three unknowns. But its crazy to solve. I doubt its the right way, but maybe you can give it a shot?

How about Laplace transformations? Find the transfer function for capacitor and output, and then inverse laplace it for the final answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?