1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order transient circuit

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Captura de pantalla 2015-11-15 a las 14.01.12.png

It asks me to find io(t=0-), io(t=0+), and Vc(t=0-). C=100μF R= 2kΩ
    2. Relevant equations
    V=I*R, i(t)= i(∞)+[i(0+)-i(∞)]*e-t/τ, Vc(0-)=Vc(0+)

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to calculate Vc(0-) as it will be the same as Vc(0+), stating that at t=0- the capacitor acts as an open circuit because it's been fully charged (the switch has been off since -∞), and I think it's 24V but I'm not sure about that. I also calculated io(0-), which is 2A, but I couldn't go any further.

Thank you guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you show some details of your calculations for initial values of Vc and io?

To me, 24 V looks too low and 2 A looks to large...

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    You're right about the io, I believe it should be 36-12=io(2000+3*2000+2*2000) io=2x10-3 A. For the Vc I just did 36-12, but now that I think of it maybe it's 32, as the voltage drops 4V in the first resistance. I struggle a lot to calculate voltages when the capacitor is in the middle of the circuit.

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

gneill

Those are better values :smile: You should always lay out the equations, particularly to confirm any "intuitive" results.

6. Nov 15, 2015 #5
    Yeah you're right, thanks. I'm now trying to calculate io(0+) and io(∞). For io(0+) I replaced the capacitor for a voltage source of 32V (assuming the other calculations were right) and applying KVL I figured that the intensity should be 32/6000= 5,3x10-3. But i'm not sure how the capacitor acts when t=∞ /:

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6

gneill

At steady state, capacitor currents go to zero. Effectively they "look like" an open circuit to the rest of the circuit. So for t=∞ remove the capacitor and find the potential across the points where it was connected.

Fig1.png

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7
    Thank you very much @gneill, my teacher posted the solution and it turns out the second calculations I assumed (with your help) were right! :D Do you know any good books with this type of exercices so I can practice for my exam? Thank you again for your time.

9. Nov 15, 2015 #8

gneill

Well done.

I don't know of any particular books, but a Google search on "first order circuits examples" will turn up lots of hits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted