1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First-Order Transient Circuits

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the step-by-step method to find vo(t) for t > 0 in the circuit in the figure below.
    1G3Myiq.png

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR, KVL, Mesh Analysis, Voltage Division, Solution form of first order equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. Finding the current through the inductor before the switch is thrown:
      • Since the circuit has reached steady state, the inductor can be replaced with a short circuit, circumventing the 4Ω resistor.
      • Mesh Analysis: With Y being the current in the left loop and X being the current in the right loop, both clockwise
      • -12+(Y-X)*2-12=0,
        12+(X-Y)*2+X*2=0
        [*]X=6, Y=18
        [*]Current through inductor is 6A at t=0-

[*]Finding the voltage drop across the 2Ω resistor after the switch has been thrown:
      • At the moment the switch is thrown, the inductor can be replaced by a 6A current source. The voltage source on the left is thrown out of the circuit.
      • Loop Analysis clockwise:
      • 12+X*2+(X-6)*4+X*2=0
      • X=1.5
      • 1.5A*2Ω=3V
      • Voltage drop across the resistor in question is 3V at t=0+
      [*]Finding the voltage drop across the 2Ω resistor after the switch has been thrown for a very long time:
      • The inductor acts a short circuit, thus circumventing the 4Ω resistor at the top
      • Voltage division:
      • -12*2/4=-6V
      • Voltage drop across the resistor in question is -6V at t=infinity
      [*]Finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit & calculating the time constant τ
      • Since the 12V source becomes an open circuit, we only have the 3 resistors
      • 2Ω is in series with the other 2Ω, and the 4Ω equivalent resistor is in parallel with the other 4Ω resistor at the top.
      • The Thevenin resistance is 2Ω
      • Then, τ=(1/3H)/2Ω => 0.1666
      [*]Therefore, the equation modeling this circuit is:
      [*]-6+[3--6]*e^(-t/0.166)
      [*]-6+9*e^(-t/0.166)

Does this look correct? I've redone my steps and I haven't found an error except in the calculation in my time constant, as you can see the change from 0.08333 to 0.1666. Though, I have one attempt left at this and would like to make sure the previous steps are correct.​

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your calculations look good to me.

Note that your time constant works out to 0.1666 which is to say, 1/6. So you could write ##\left( -\frac{t}{\tau} \right)## as (-6t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted