Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Post from New Member

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    Hello Forum.

This looks like a great website. I look forward to lots of interesting and challenging discussions.

How long do you have to be here and how many posts before you get an avatar?

-- William Thompson

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2
    You can get one now... just pay 25 bucks (US) or what ever the euro or pound equiv is. you get a 1 year contributorship and you get to have an avatar... among other things.

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3
    I was just poking around and I noticed that too. That is a pretty good idea to make money for webmasters. I might borrow that myself in the future.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, <enter username here>!!!!!!!!!!!11 :biggrin:

That's a long name you have there, William Thompson. Do you like Willie T? I think it's catchy.

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What about Thumpy or willie thump, HRW?

7. Jan 30, 2006 #6
    Since I stand by what I say, I like to use my real name and not hide behind a username or nick name or handle. I am not suggesting that that is what people do. I am just saying that I like to use my real name because it keeps me honest and I hope it makes people take me more seriously and think twice before disagreeing with me. It hasn't happened yet, it seems. But hope is eternal.

Back in college, I used to use "Replicant" because I was a big Blade Runner fan.

8. Jan 30, 2006 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

Although I'm not forum, but anyway

Hello and welcome!:smile:

9. Jan 30, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm sure HRW only said what she did out of a desire for replication.
    Don't take her seriously, I'm the only one around here to do so.

10. Jan 30, 2006 #9
    if you didnt have the p in thompson you'd have the name of lord kelvin :biggrin:

anyway, i dont think people will take you less Seriously because you use nicknames...
    atleast i dont, i base my judgement on what you say regardless of who you are, or who you claim to be.

11. Jan 30, 2006 #10
    For $25 bucks an avtar and contributor medal, for $100 bucks you get a homework helper medal, for $200 a science advisor, for $500 a pF mentor, for $1000 bucks a PF guru badge.

12. Jan 30, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And, not the least, for £2000, you get Cyrus.

13. Jan 30, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, we'll give him away free if someone is willing to take him. :tongue:

Welcome to PF William! I wouldn't recommend becoming a contributor JUST to get an avatar. Folks who contribute here usually do it because they believe in the goals of the site and think it provides a valuable educational resource. The avatar and signature are just perks...a way of saying thank-you to those who contribute.

As for not hiding behind a nickname, that's a lot easier when you have such a common name, isn't it? :biggrin: Around here, we don't take anyone very seriously in General Discussion :tongue2:, but everyone is taken seriously in the science discussions (even if it means we think they're seriously wrong :rolleyes:).

14. Jan 30, 2006 #13
    :frown: Im willing to pay for someone to take me.... :frown:

15. Jan 30, 2006 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Oh, I'm sure whoever takes you will pay, in a manner of speaking.

16. Jan 30, 2006 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

How much will you pay? :tongue2:

17. Jan 30, 2006 #16

Lisa!

Gold Member

Could you please tell me what cyruc means?:blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?