Exploring Avatars and Forum Etiquette: A New Member's Guide

• Thread starter William Thompson
  • Start date
In summary, an avatar is a visual representation of a user in an online community or forum that helps with recognition and personalization. When choosing an avatar, it is important to follow community guidelines and use a clear image. New members should introduce themselves, follow etiquette rules, and make a good first impression by being friendly and contributing meaningfully. If encountering rude behavior, remaining calm and reporting it to a moderator is recommended.
William Thompson
Hello Forum.

This looks like a great website. I look forward to lots of interesting and challenging discussions.

How long do you have to be here and how many posts before you get an avatar?

-- William Thompson

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
William Thompson said:
Hello Forum.

This looks like a great website. I look forward to lots of interesting and challenging discussions.

-- William Thompson

You can get one now... just pay 25 bucks (US) or what ever the euro or pound equiv is. you get a 1 year contributorship and you get to have an avatar... among other things.

ComputerGeek said:
You can get one now... just pay 25 bucks (US) or what ever the euro or pound equiv is. you get a 1 year contributorship and you get to have an avatar... among other things.

I was just poking around and I noticed that too. That is a pretty good idea to make money for webmasters. I might borrow that myself in the future.

Welcome to PF, <enter username here>!!!!!11 :biggrin:

That's a long name you have there, William Thompson. Do you like Willie T? I think it's catchy.

What about Thumpy or willie thump, HRW?

honestrosewater said:
Welcome to PF, <enter username here>!!!!!11 :biggrin:

That's a long name you have there, William Thompson. Do you like Willie T? I think it's catchy.

Since I stand by what I say, I like to use my real name and not hide behind a username or nick name or handle. I am not suggesting that that is what people do. I am just saying that I like to use my real name because it keeps me honest and I hope it makes people take me more seriously and think twice before disagreeing with me. It hasn't happened yet, it seems. But hope is eternal.

Back in college, I used to use "Replicant" because I was a big Blade Runner fan.

William Thompson said:
Hello Forum.

-- William Thompson

Although I'm not forum, but anyway

Hello and welcome!:smile:

I'm sure HRW only said what she did out of a desire for replication.
Don't take her seriously, I'm the only one around here to do so.

if you didnt have the p in thompson you'd have the name of lord kelvin :biggrin:

anyway, i don't think people will take you less Seriously because you use nicknames...
atleast i dont, i base my judgement on what you say regardless of who you are, or who you claim to be.

For $25 bucks an avtar and contributor medal, for $100 bucks you get a homework helper medal, for $200 a science advisor, for $500 a pF mentor, for $1000 bucks a PF guru badge.

And, not the least, for £2000, you get Cyrus.

arildno said:
And, not the least, for £2000, you get Cyrus.
Oh, we'll give him away free if someone is willing to take him. :tongue:

Welcome to PF William! I wouldn't recommend becoming a contributor JUST to get an avatar. Folks who contribute here usually do it because they believe in the goals of the site and think it provides a valuable educational resource. The avatar and signature are just perks...a way of saying thank-you to those who contribute.

As for not hiding behind a nickname, that's a lot easier when you have such a common name, isn't it? :biggrin: Around here, we don't take anyone very seriously in General Discussion :tongue2:, but everyone is taken seriously in the science discussions (even if it means we think they're seriously wrong :rolleyes:).

Oh, we'll give him away free if someone is willing to take him.

:frown: I am willing to pay for someone to take me... :frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh, I'm sure whoever takes you will pay, in a manner of speaking.

cyrusabdollahi said:
How much will you pay? :tongue2:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Could you please tell me what cyruc means?:blushing:

1. What is an avatar and why is it important in forum etiquette?

An avatar is a visual representation of a user in an online community or forum. It can be an image, icon, or cartoon character that represents the user's identity. In terms of forum etiquette, avatars are important because they help other members recognize and remember a user, making interactions more personal and engaging.

2. How do I choose an appropriate avatar for a forum?

When choosing an avatar for a forum, it is important to consider the community's guidelines and rules. Avoid using offensive or inappropriate images, and instead choose something that reflects your personality or interests. It is also recommended to use a clear and recognizable image to help other members easily identify you.

3. What are some common forum etiquette rules for new members?

Some common forum etiquette rules for new members include introducing yourself in the designated thread, reading the community guidelines and rules, avoiding spamming or self-promotion, and being respectful and courteous to other members. It is also important to use proper grammar and spelling in posts and to avoid starting or engaging in arguments or conflicts.

4. How can I make a good first impression as a new member in a forum?

To make a good first impression as a new member in a forum, it is important to be friendly and approachable, follow the community guidelines and rules, contribute meaningful and relevant posts, and engage in discussions with other members. It is also recommended to participate in community events and activities to get to know other members and become more involved in the forum.

5. What should I do if I encounter rude or disrespectful behavior in a forum?

If you encounter rude or disrespectful behavior in a forum, it is best to remain calm and avoid engaging in the behavior. You can report the behavior to a moderator or administrator, who can handle the situation and enforce the community guidelines. It is also important to remember to be respectful and courteous in your own interactions with other members, even if they are not behaving in the same manner.