1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Post. Kinematics

1. May 16, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum. I am kinda having trouble with a physics problem. Could someone please help me out with 3 problems. Thanks.

A rocket is fired vertically with an upward acceleration of 27 m/s2. After 21 s, the engine shuts off and the rocket continues as a free particle until it reaches the ground.
    (a) What is the highest point the rocket reaches?
    km
    (b) What is the total time the rocket is in the air?
    s
    (c) What is the speed of the rocket just before it hits the ground?
    m/s
    ===================================================
    Two stones are dropped from the edge of a 200-m cliff, the second stone 1.3 s after the first.
    (a) How long after the second stone is dropped will the separation between the two stones be 35 m?
    s
    (b) At this point, how far below the clifftop is the second stone?
    m

====================================================
    A particle undergoes three successive displacements in a plane, as follows: 2.0 m southwest, 5.0 m east, and 8.0 m in a direction 60.0° north of east. Choose the y axis pointing north and the x axis pointing east.
    (a) Find the components of the first displacement.
    m east and m north
    Find the components of the second displacement.
    m east and m north
    Find the components of the third displacement.
    m east and m north
    (b) Find the components of the resultant displacement.
    m east and m north
    (c) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement.
    m at an angle of ° North of East
    (d) Find the displacement that would be required to bring the particle back to the starting point.
    m i + m j.

I got some fromt the last one correct but am having trouble with the whole concept.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2
    Ok so apparently i am suppose to show work which i have done on the problems. I haven't done much work on them except draw the pictures etc... For the first problem i know i'm suppose to use the two main kinematics problems which are: v = v0 + at and x = x0+v0t+.5at^2

For the last problem i got the letters a) and c) but i think i am miscalculating the angle on b) and and completely lost on how to do the other parts.

4. May 16, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Time to get to work! You'll need those kinematic equations. (Here's another that may come in handy: V^2 = V0^2 + 2ax )

For the first problem (the rocket) do it in pieces. How fast is it going after 21 sec? How high is it? After 21 sec, it's just a projectile under gravity.

Give it a try.

5. May 16, 2004 #4
    Ok so i plugged the numbers into the first kinematic problem to get the speed at 21 sec which was 500 m/s. After that i used the 3rd equation listed in the quote above to get how high it went and i got the wrong answer from what it is suppose to be. Anyone know what i am doing wrong?

6. May 16, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Check that one over. If you don't find your mistake, post your calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?