1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First principles

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] First principles

Determine the derivatives of the following function from first principles (i.e using the limit
    definition of a derivative).

g(x) = x^(3/2)

lim h->0 : (x^(3/2) - (x + h)^(3/2) ) / (-h)

I understand first principles its more so the expansion of the (x + h)^(3/2) that has got me lost.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Use the binomial theorem for non-integer powers. Then expand it for the first few terms, neglect powers of h by truncating the expansion (justified because h approaches zero) then substitute this result into the limit. Something will cancel out and you'll get the answer.
  4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    (x + h)^(3/2)

=> ((x + h)^3))^(1/2)

(x^3 + 2hx^2 + x(h^2) + h(x^2) + 2x(h^2) + h^3)^(1/2)

So i get the following

(x^(3/2) - (x^3 + 2hx^2 + x(h^2) + h(x^2) + 2x(h^2) + h^3)^(1/2)) / (-h)

Firstly is this correct?
    Secondly what do i do now? take out a factor form the square root, but what factor? >.<
  5. Jun 2, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The binomial theorem for non-integer powers is a bit of a deeper result than the derivative of a monomial isn't it?

Why not take this approach:

[tex] \frac{ (x+h)^{\frac{3}{2}} - x^{\frac{3}{2}} }{h} = \frac{ (x+h) \sqrt{x+h} - x\sqrt{x} }{h} = \frac{ x\sqrt{x+h} + h\sqrt{x+h} - x\sqrt{x}}{h} [/tex]

Perhaps you can take it from here =]
  6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    Thank you Gib Z!
    As i said i was just having problems with the power 1.5 but after seeing it written like that made everything much clearer.

I multiplied by the conjugate and as a result canceled the h term from the denominator and got the proper result (3/2)x^(1/2).

7. Jun 3, 2008 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Good work, and no problem =] Just in case you are wondering, Defennder's suggestion works as well, though it may be beyond you at the moment.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?