Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First puppy decision

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first family is getting a puppy..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27556259/

I think they should get a cat.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think they should get one from the local animal shelter. With kids, a puppy would be a good decision.

And, yes, the girls should go through a dog obedience class with the new dog when it's around 6 months old or so. Classes like that are a lot of fun even for an adult. They'll probably have to have a personal trainer work with them instead, which is too bad.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    :biggrin: That's hilarious. Would be the first dog to call his boss.

5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he should get a Dobermann. I'm not in any way biased of course, they just happen to be the best dogs. :smile:

6. Nov 6, 2008 #5
    There are so many abused animals that need good, loving homes.

It's a shame they'll probably go buy one from a breeder :(

7. Nov 6, 2008 #6
    It's probably going to be either an Obamalamute or an Obamastiff

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Nov 6, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shame he didn't want a fish. Then he could have got a Barrackuda.

9. Nov 6, 2008 #8
    What is more American than a Boston Terrier?

10. Nov 6, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think they should adopt a puppy from a shelter. They should get an animal behaviorist to help recommend a good one for them...do they want a lap dog, or a rambunctious pup to frolick with the kids? Obviously, they'll need one that isn't easily frightened...it wouldn't be very nice to have lots of photos of the president with a puppy cowering behind him trying to hide from the photographers and flash bulbs. Actually, I'd recommend taking a group of people and some cameras when they go to select a puppy, and try some flash photos to see how the puppy reacts. If it just doesn't care or heads over to check out the camera/photographer, great, but if it cowers, growls, piddles, etc., then move along to one who can handle being in the limelight of first puppy.

Of all the things I don't care for about Obama, I did think it was cool that in his victory speech, he commented that his daughters had earned a dog and promised it to them right then and there. :biggrin: I just hope he makes them be responsible for their puppy and doesn't just assign some staff member to clean-up duty (doody?). It would be good to make sure they don't wind up spoiled like so many other children of politicians or other famous people.

11. Nov 6, 2008 #10
    To be fair, they should have both a cat and dog.
    I like Labradoodles for their playfulness, they are really clever, and packed full of cuteness. They were first bred for Guide Dogs to combine a low-shedding coat of the Poodle with the gentle nature and train ability of the Labrador, for use with people with allergies to fur and dander.

12. Nov 6, 2008 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm betting the new crews are already being booked - although they might want to wait for the first screw-up before using the puppy card.
    I'm picturing a crack teamof PR advisors are currently in a meeting trying to decide if it should be a black puppy or if a white one would be 'healing'. They will probably end up getting a dalmation as a compromise.

13. Nov 6, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's terrible! :rolleyes:

It would be too elitist to get a pure-bred puppy though... he definitely has no choice other than to get a nice mutt from the pound/shelter. :approve: He better make a big fat donation to the shelter too, while he's at it.

14. Nov 6, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Malia Obama suffers from asthma, and is allergic to pet dander. You folks will need to restrict your suggestions to hypo-allergenic breeds.

15. Nov 6, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rolleyes: In that case, Barack should have never promised a puppy! "Here you go sweetie, don't worry if your airway closes off and you wheeze and sneeze all the time, you have the puppy you begged for, you little spoiled brat." :rolleyes:

How about getting a lizard, or turtle? They're much better choices for a kid with asthma/allergies.

16. Nov 6, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe working water-dogs, like poodles would be a good choice. I think it's nice for kids to have exposure to pets, and for them to be assigned responsibilities for those pets. When I was about 8 or so, we got a beautiful mixed breed dog who had been badly abused. She was distrustful of adult men for a few years, but she and I bonded and I could teach her any kind of trick in no time. She wasn't a real food-hound, but she loved to please, so after a year or so, if I hauled out a little treat (like those nasty Hartz mountain bits), she'd speak, sit, shake, beg, lie down, play dead, roll over, etc in quick succession - the whole drill. Owning a pet as an abstraction (that's my dog, but the staff feeds and bathes it) is VERY different from owning a pet, bonding, and taking responsibility for its care. If the Obamas are not going to task their children with training, feeding, and otherwise caring for a dog, they should not bother. If you had a dog as a kid, and remember some bad times, I'll bet you'll remember that in those bad times, your dog was sensitive to your distress and sorrow and gave you more silent support than any humans did. There is a lot of give an take with a dog that is locked in on you.

Cats..... er not so much. "Where's the Fancy Feast, Sucker, not that kibble crap!"

17. Nov 6, 2008 #16
    Grow up.

18. Nov 6, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, so you'd advocate promising a puppy to a kid with allergies to puppies? :rolleyes: Perhaps you need to do some growing up. It sounds irresponsible. I thought it was cool until it was pointed out that one of his daughters has asthma and dander allergies! That's not so cool, that's pretty lame parenting.

19. Nov 6, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if there has ever been a pet reptile in the White House. First Iguana sounds pretty cool.

20. Nov 6, 2008 #19
    Yep. Just like going on shopping sprees and having a pregnant daughter. You know, just for a point of comparison.

Nice job beating up on a 10 year old kid though. Really, spoiled brat? Have you ever even met his kids?

Also, you mean you want him to give 'welfare' to the animal shelter? Interesting.

21. Nov 6, 2008 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was discussed at length with her doctor and decided that it would have to be a hypo-allergenic breed. Where were you when this was all over the news some months ago?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?