First Family's Puppy Decision: Should They Get a Cat?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary: I'm biased because I love Poodles.In summary, the first family is getting a puppy. They should get a cat, but if they can't have a cat then they should get a dog from a shelter or a breeder. The girls should go through a dog obedience class with the new dog when it's around 6 months old or so.
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they should get one from the local animal shelter. With kids, a puppy would be a good decision.

And, yes, the girls should go through a dog obedience class with the new dog when it's around 6 months old or so. Classes like that are a lot of fun even for an adult. They'll probably have to have a personal trainer work with them instead, which is too bad.

:biggrin: That's hilarious. Would be the first dog to call his boss.

I think he should get a Dobermann. I'm not in any way biased of course, they just happen to be the best dogs. :smile:

There are so many abused animals that need good, loving homes.

It's a shame they'll probably go buy one from a breeder :(

Kurdt said:
I think he should get a Dobermann. I'm not in any way biased of course, they just happen to be the best dogs. :smile:

It's probably going to be either an Obamalamute or an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Mastiff

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame he didn't want a fish. Then he could have got a Barrackuda.

I think they should adopt a puppy from a shelter. They should get an animal behaviorist to help recommend a good one for them...do they want a lap dog, or a rambunctious pup to frolick with the kids? Obviously, they'll need one that isn't easily frightened...it wouldn't be very nice to have lots of photos of the president with a puppy cowering behind him trying to hide from the photographers and flash bulbs. Actually, I'd recommend taking a group of people and some cameras when they go to select a puppy, and try some flash photos to see how the puppy reacts. If it just doesn't care or heads over to check out the camera/photographer, great, but if it cowers, growls, piddles, etc., then move along to one who can handle being in the limelight of first puppy.

Of all the things I don't care for about Obama, I did think it was cool that in his victory speech, he commented that his daughters had earned a dog and promised it to them right then and there. :biggrin: I just hope he makes them be responsible for their puppy and doesn't just assign some staff member to clean-up duty (doody?). It would be good to make sure they don't wind up spoiled like so many other children of politicians or other famous people.

To be fair, they should have both a cat and dog.
I like Labradoodles for their playfulness, they are really clever, and packed full of cuteness. They were first bred for Guide Dogs to combine a low-shedding coat of the Poodle with the gentle nature and train ability of the Labrador, for use with people with allergies to fur and dander.

Actually, I'd recommend taking a group of people and some cameras when they go to select a puppy,
I'm betting the new crews are already being booked - although they might want to wait for the first screw-up before using the puppy card.
I'm picturing a crack teamof PR advisors are currently in a meeting trying to decide if it should be a black puppy or if a white one would be 'healing'. They will probably end up getting a dalmation as a compromise.

mgb_phys said:
I'm betting the new crews are already being booked - although they might want to wait for the first screw-up before using the puppy card.
I'm picturing a crack teamof PR advisors are currently in a meeting trying to decide if it should be a black puppy or if a white one would be 'healing'. They will probably end up getting a dalmation as a compromise.

:rofl: That's terrible! :rolleyes:

It would be too elitist to get a pure-bred puppy though... he definitely has no choice other than to get a nice mutt from the pound/shelter. :approve: He better make a big fat donation to the shelter too, while he's at it.

Malia Obama suffers from asthma, and is allergic to pet dander. You folks will need to restrict your suggestions to hypo-allergenic breeds.

Gokul43201 said:
Malia Obama suffers from asthma, and is allergic to pet dander. You folks will need to restrict your suggestions to hypo-allergenic breeds.

:rolleyes: In that case, Barack should have never promised a puppy! "Here you go sweetie, don't worry if your airway closes off and you wheeze and sneeze all the time, you have the puppy you begged for, you little spoiled brat." :rolleyes:

How about getting a lizard, or turtle? They're much better choices for a kid with asthma/allergies.

Maybe working water-dogs, like poodles would be a good choice. I think it's nice for kids to have exposure to pets, and for them to be assigned responsibilities for those pets. When I was about 8 or so, we got a beautiful mixed breed dog who had been badly abused. She was distrustful of adult men for a few years, but she and I bonded and I could teach her any kind of trick in no time. She wasn't a real food-hound, but she loved to please, so after a year or so, if I hauled out a little treat (like those nasty Hartz mountain bits), she'd speak, sit, shake, beg, lie down, play dead, roll over, etc in quick succession - the whole drill. Owning a pet as an abstraction (that's my dog, but the staff feeds and bathes it) is VERY different from owning a pet, bonding, and taking responsibility for its care. If the Obamas are not going to task their children with training, feeding, and otherwise caring for a dog, they should not bother. If you had a dog as a kid, and remember some bad times, I'll bet you'll remember that in those bad times, your dog was sensitive to your distress and sorrow and gave you more silent support than any humans did. There is a lot of give an take with a dog that is locked in on you.Cats... er not so much. "Where's the Fancy Feast, Sucker, not that kibble crap!"

Moonbear said:
:rolleyes: In that case, Barack should have never promised a puppy! "Here you go sweetie, don't worry if your airway closes off and you wheeze and sneeze all the time, you have the puppy you begged for, you little spoiled brat." :rolleyes:

How about getting a lizard, or turtle? They're much better choices for a kid with asthma/allergies.

Grow up.

Cyrus said:
Grow up.

Um, so you'd advocate promising a puppy to a kid with allergies to puppies? :rolleyes: Perhaps you need to do some growing up. It sounds irresponsible. I thought it was cool until it was pointed out that one of his daughters has asthma and dander allergies! That's not so cool, that's pretty lame parenting.

I don't know if there has ever been a pet reptile in the White House. First Iguana sounds pretty cool.

Moonbear said:
Um, so you'd advocate promising a puppy to a kid with allergies to puppies? :rolleyes: Perhaps you need to do some growing up. It sounds irresponsible. I thought it was cool until it was pointed out that one of his daughters has asthma and dander allergies! That's not so cool, that's pretty lame parenting.

Yep. Just like going on shopping sprees and having a pregnant daughter. You know, just for a point of comparison.

Nice job beating up on a 10 year old kid though. Really, spoiled brat? Have you ever even met his kids?

Also, you mean you want him to give 'welfare' to the animal shelter? Interesting.

Moonbear said:
It was discussed at length with her doctor and decided that it would have to be a hypo-allergenic breed. Where were you when this was all over the news some months ago?

Gokul43201 said:
It was discussed at length with her doctor and decided that it would have to be a hypo-allergenic breed. Where were you when this was all over the news some months ago?
Why the heck would I be paying attention to news stories about puppies? There were REAL issues I was paying attention to. Good grief folks! I can't believe how insane people have gotten about Obama. You can't even point out that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, a dog is NOT the right choice for his kids. :rolleyes: I'll remember, the dictator should not be questioned.

How safe are those hypoallergenic dogs? My friend got a hypoallergenic cat ($600!) for her daughter and she still got sick. They had to give the cat away.

Cyrus said:
Yep. Just like going on shopping sprees and having a pregnant daughter. You know, just for a point of comparison.
Off topic.

Nice job beating up on a 10 year old kid though. Really, spoiled brat? Have you ever even met his kids?

Also, you mean you want him to give 'welfare' to the animal shelter? Interesting.

Oh, puleease! Do you not understand the meaning of SARCASM!? Hey, he's the one in favor of welfare. He should put HIS money where HIS mouth is before he expects me to put MY money there.

I'm sorry that you all think he's such a golden child and above reproach.

Math Is Hard said:
How safe are those hypoallergenic dogs? My friend got a hypoallergenic cat ($600!) for her daughter and she still got sick. They had to give the cat away.

Exactly! Thanks for injecting some sanity here. Even poodles have dander. There is no guarantee a kid with such bad allergies won't be allergic to one of them. It's irresponsible to promise a puppy to a kid without making sure the kid isn't going to have an allergic reaction. Why do people think so many wonderful dogs wind up in the shelter in the first place? It's parents who promise kids puppies without thinking about what caring for a puppy requires that end up having to give them away.

And, no, I don't think his kids are spoiled, and I don't know anything about them. More likely, the poor kids are flat out neglected by the dad who's too busy with his career to really pay them much attention. Daddy can't be home to spend time with them, so he promises them presents instead, and even presents that they might not be able to keep. I feel a bit sorry for his kids in reality.

Moonbear said:
Why the heck would I be paying attention to news stories about puppies? There were REAL issues I was paying attention to. Good grief folks! I can't believe how insane people have gotten about Obama. You can't even point out that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, a dog is NOT the right choice for his kids. :rolleyes: I'll remember, the dictator should not be questioned.

Ahem. I think you mean "dear leader", Moonbear. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

I think you're the one being 'insane' here calling 10 year old kids you don't even know spoiled brats. Good grief indeed.

Really, two little girls wanted a puppy...and that makes them spoiled brats? A 7 year old wanting a puppy is now a 'spoiled brat'...wow. Talk about being insensitive.

What you don't get is that them not having a puppy becuase its not healthy is fine. Calling them spoiled brats because a small kid wants a puppy (what small kid doesnt?) is total crap.

Math Is Hard said:
Ahem. I think you mean "dear leader", Moonbear. :biggrin:

:rofl: :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Off topic.

Oh, puleease! Do you not understand the meaning of SARCASM!? Hey, he's the one in favor of welfare. He should put HIS money where HIS mouth is before he expects me to put MY money there.

I'm sorry that you all think he's such a golden child and above reproach.

I suggest you read my reply about this 'welfare' nonsense you're spouting in the other thread. McCain's checks to families in the form of 'tax breaks'...are ...also...welfare. You sure you payed attention to REAL issues?

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/obamas_welfare.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, this is NOT about puppies anymore. I think this thread is played out.

VOTE FOR CATS!

Thread locked!

All cats are Libertarians, you know. :)

Gokul43201 said:
Where were you when this was all over the news some months ago?

Moonbear said:
Why the heck would I be paying attention to news stories about puppies? There were REAL issues I was paying attention to. Good grief folks! I can't believe how insane people have gotten about Obama.
Wow! You really couldn't tell that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek?

You can't even point out that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, a dog is NOT the right choice for his kids. :rolleyes:
Sure you can. But for someone that has never come across this story before to suddenly decide that it constitutes lame parenting based on a sentence that I wrote (and there were no maybes in the post) seems a little ... drastic.

I'll remember, the dictator should not be questioned.
The dictator? Good grief, Moonbie! Take it easy! This is a puppy thread, after all.

Back to puppies y'all. No politics here.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
All cats are Libertarians, you know. :)

Libertines, at least. :tongue2:

Perhaps if there's an allergy problem the puppy could be in a large hamster ball.

Perhaps they can convince the children that a blind mole rat is a dog.