Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Sobolev Embedding Theorem

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Hello there,

I have a question about Sobolev's first theorem.

Essentially it is said that for p = 1 the space [tax] W^{l}_{p} [\tex] belongs to the space of continuous if l ≥ n.
    So, in 1D I just need the finction and its first derivative to be integrable, which makes perfect sense.
    I can not get why though for n > 1 I need information on derivatives of higher order to conclude the finction is continuous. In other words, can anyone show me a counterexample of a function [tex] W^{1}_{1} [\tex] not continuous over a 2D domain?

The second curiosity concerns the following statement I have found on the web, http://terrytao.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/245c-notes-4-sobolev-spaces/
    "
    (One can already see this with the most basic example of Sobolev embedding, coming from the fundamental theorem of calculus. If a (continuously differentiable) function f has f' in L1 then we of course have f belongs to L∞ ; but the converse is far from true.) "

Now the Sobolev theroem tell us that in order for a function to be L∞, in 1D, we just need it to belong to [tex] W^{1}_{1} [\tex], which seems to me larger then the class of continuoulsy differentiable function, am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2
    Hi there,

I am starting to wonder if my question was unclear, or meaningless..
    If so please let me know and I will reformulate it.

Many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook