First step analysis hitting time

In summary, the mean hitting time k(i)(0) is the average number of steps it takes to reach state 0, starting from state i, and it can be calculated by summing up the probabilities p(i,j) multiplied by the mean hitting time k(j,0) for each non-zero state j, as given by the theorem.
rickywaldron
I'm having a little trouble understanding the mean hitting time of a random walk, with p(i,j) = p if j=i+1, q if j=i-1 and 0 otherwise. 0 is an absorbing state and no upper absorbing state ie. dealer has unlimited amount of money.

Need to work out the mean hitting times k(i)(0) for i=0,1,2 etc.

I believe that i is the initial starting point however wouldn't the mean hitting time be different for each i? The way the question is worded sounds like same answer for all i.

Need to calculate for the cases where p<q, p=q and p>q and I have the theorem k(i)(0) = sum (over j does not equal 0) of p(i,j)k(j,0)
I don't get what this theorem means?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean hitting time k(i)(0) is the average number of steps it takes to reach state 0, starting from state i. The theorem you have states that the mean hitting time k(i)(0) can be calculated by summing up all the probabilities p(i,j) multiplied by the mean hitting time k(j,0) for each non-zero state j. Intuitively, this makes sense because the probability p(i,j) tells us how likely it is to move from state i to state j, and then the mean hitting time k(j,0) tells us how long it will take to reach state 0 from state j. Note that this theorem only applies when there is no upper absorbing state. So, in order to calculate the mean hitting time k(i)(0) for a given initial state i, you need to compute the probabilities p(i,j) and mean hitting times k(j,0) for each non-zero state j, and then multiply each probability with the corresponding mean hitting time, and sum up all the results. The values of p(i,j) will depend on whether p<q, p=q or p>q.

1. What is "first step analysis hitting time"?

"First step analysis hitting time" is a statistical method used to determine the amount of time it takes for a specific event to occur in a system. It involves analyzing the first step of a process and calculating the time it takes for the process to reach a certain point.

2. How is "first step analysis hitting time" calculated?

The calculation for "first step analysis hitting time" involves using the probability of the event occurring and the average time it takes for the event to occur. It is typically calculated using mathematical models and algorithms.

3. What types of systems can "first step analysis hitting time" be applied to?

"First step analysis hitting time" can be applied to various types of systems, including but not limited to biological systems, financial systems, and physical systems. It can also be applied to complex systems with multiple components.

4. What is the significance of "first step analysis hitting time" in scientific research?

"First step analysis hitting time" is significant because it allows scientists to understand the dynamics of a system and predict the time it takes for a specific event to occur. It can also help identify key factors that influence the event and inform decision-making in various fields of research.

5. What are some limitations of using "first step analysis hitting time"?

One limitation of using "first step analysis hitting time" is that it assumes a linear relationship between the event and the factors influencing it. It also requires accurate data and assumptions, which may not always be available. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for highly complex systems with many variables.