Buying a Telescope: First-Time Advice

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter nick1o2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: Collimation is something that you will have to learn how to do, but the manual that comes with the telescope should help with that. I would also recommend getting a basic astronomy book to help you learn about the constellations and the objects you can see with your telescope.
nick1o2
I have made up my mind about buying a telescope. The one i will be buying is:
http://shop.seben.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zZWJlbiZncm91cD0zJmxhbmc9MiZjdXJyPTE=&action=products&cat=1&mode=view&id=1

But i do still have some questions. This is my first telescope, will it be easy for a new comer to use this telescope efficiently and just easy to understand?
The website also has recommend attachments for the telescope. Are any other attachments really necessary? And if anyone has had one like this i would be glad to see your opinion on it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi nick1o2

The telescope looks good. An upper-middle range newcomer telescope, I'd say.

Don't bother with the accessories - you'll be well set to start playing with your purchase as it is. Besides, you can always get them later.
But if you'd like to decide for yourself, here's a short description of what those three listed are:

-an adjustable eyepiece. You're already supplied with two eyepieces, one for high and one for low magnification(eyepiece focal length is what determines magnification in telescopes). That is, you'll have two magnification settings, achieveable by exchanging eyepieces. The extra accessory could arguably make "zooming in" on some objects a bit more comfortable(the process of swapping eyepieces might make you lose the target from sight).

-basically a cheap digital camera. Connect it to your laptop and take screenshots. I was never much into astrophotography, but I'd think this here item is just a glorified webcam that's unlikely to let you do much, maybe some shots of the Moon. I'd leave such considerations for when you're more experienced.

-a collimator helps adjust misaligned optics. Shouldn't be a problem for a fresh-out-of-shop telescope.

The main thing to learn, will be how to set up the equatorial mount. This is the kind of mount that corrects for the fact that objects in the sky follow angled semi-circular paths, so that(unlike a simpler, altitude-azimuth mount) it let's you track the target just by adjusting a single knob. It's a huge convenience, especially for higher magnifications, as the sky revolves quite fast indeed - as I'm sure you'll come to appreciate in due time.
Do a google or forum search for "equatorial mount" and you should find plenty of advice, should the user manual prove insufficient.

Lastly, I'd recomment reading this sticky thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391086
before you decide on your purchase.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I mostly agree with Bandersnatch. Don't worry too much about accessories at the moment. Focus on learning how to set up and align your mount/scope and how to adjust the optics. Your telescope should come with a manual and in that manual it should explain how to align the optics (called collimation), but if it doesn't then you can google "Newtonian collimation", since you have a Newtonian reflector.

The one thing I would suggest is a basic astronomy book to help you find and identify the constellations and possible viewing targets. There should be plenty in the science section of your local bookstore. Browse around, I'm sure you'll find a good one.

A few things.
Firstly, a few of the things that telescope comes with are ridiculous. The short focal length eyepiece provided will essentially be worthless. 215x on a 150mm telescope should almost never be used. It is pretty rare to get nights where the seeing allows better than 150x (in any telescope) in my experience. Many nights here in Austin, even 96x can be too high (especially in the summer).
Also, when they say objects down to magnitude 13 can be seen, they are referring to a site with a naked eye limiting magnitude of 6. Considering that most people live in cities, and that you are probably from Europe (considering the price is in euros), your naked eye limiting magnitude will be not be this good. With my 10" (254mm) Dobsonian, I can see down to about magnitude 12-13 here (naked eye limiting magnitude 4.6-5.2). Just a note: this is for stars! With the level of light pollution here, diffuse objects need to have a surface brightness of around 16-17 to be visible to me (sky brightness about 18.5).
If you do end up getting this telescope, I strongly suggest buying a Telrad finder. It will make finding objects and polar alignment much easier.

Also, you should spend time learning the constellations with the naked eye before getting a telescope. It makes your life MUCH easier. Even looking for fainter constellations (like Delphinus) from light polluted areas will improve your observing skills.

It does seem like a good telescope for the beginner, especially considering the price.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

I would like to offer some advice on purchasing a telescope for the first time. Firstly, it is important to understand the purpose of a telescope and what you hope to achieve with it. Are you looking to observe celestial objects or take astrophotography? This will help you determine the type and specifications of telescope that will best suit your needs.

In regards to the specific telescope you have chosen, it is always a good idea to do some research and read reviews from other users before making a purchase. While the website may provide some information, it is also beneficial to seek out opinions and experiences from others who have used the same telescope.

It is also important to keep in mind that using a telescope efficiently and effectively may require some practice and patience, especially for beginners. It is recommended to start with a simpler telescope and gradually upgrade as your skills and interests develop.

Regarding the attachments recommended on the website, it is best to consult with the seller or do some additional research to determine if they are necessary for your intended use. Some attachments may enhance your experience, but they may not be essential for basic use.

In conclusion, buying a telescope can be a fun and exciting experience, but it is important to do your research and consider your specific needs and goals before making a purchase. I hope this advice helps and I wish you happy stargazing!

1. What type of telescope should I buy for a beginner?

For a beginner, it is recommended to start with a simple and easy-to-use telescope such as a refractor or a Dobsonian telescope. These types of telescopes are affordable, have a user-friendly design, and provide good image quality for observing the moon, planets, and some deep-sky objects.

2. What is the best telescope for viewing galaxies and nebulae?

If you are interested in observing faint and distant objects like galaxies and nebulae, a reflector telescope is the best option. These telescopes have a larger aperture which allows for better light-gathering and sharper images of these objects.

3. What is the difference between a computerized and manual telescope?

A computerized telescope, also known as a "go-to" telescope, has a built-in computer that can automatically locate and track celestial objects. A manual telescope, on the other hand, requires the user to manually adjust the telescope's position to find and track objects. While a computerized telescope may be more convenient, a manual telescope can be a better option for beginners to learn the night sky.

4. What accessories do I need for my telescope?

Some essential accessories for your telescope include eyepieces of varying focal lengths, a moon filter, a star diagonal, and a sturdy tripod. It is also recommended to invest in a good quality star chart or astronomy app to help you identify and locate celestial objects.

5. Is it necessary to spend a lot of money on a telescope?

No, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on a telescope. There are many affordable options available for beginners that can still provide a good observing experience. It is more important to consider the size and quality of the telescope's aperture rather than its price. It is also recommended to do thorough research and read reviews before making a purchase.