Good Textbooks for Mass, Heat Transfer, Material & Energy Balances, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for textbooks on mass and heat transfer, material and energy balances, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. The recommended books are Felder and Rosseau, and Incropera and Dewitt. However, there is no consensus on the suitability of Incropera and Dewitt for mass transfer. The conversation also mentions other potential textbooks such as Denn and the BSL, as well as Richardson and Coulson. The speaker agrees with the recommendation of Incropera and Dewitt and also suggests Munson, Young, and Okiishi's Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics for its coverage of mass and energy balances.
PhysicalAnomaly
Hi,

What are good first texts in mass and heat transfer, material and energy balances, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics?

I was recommended Felder and Rosseau, and Incropera and Dewitt. However, no books have been recommended for fluids and thermo and the consensus on amazon seems to be that Incropera and Dewitt is good for heat but not mass transfer.

I would like to know what other good books are out there. Is Denn good? Does the BSL cover all of the above material? Would it be suitable for a first course?

Also, I've heard of a Richardson and Coulson but I'm assuming it doesn't cover the above.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all, I concur totally with the suggestion of Incropera and DeWitt.

I used Munson, Young, and Okiishi's Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics in undergrad. It's solid and has a lot of good mass and energy balance material.

I would recommend considering the following textbooks for these topics:

1. "Introduction to Mass and Heat Transfer: Principles of Analysis and Design" by Stanley Middleman
2. "Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes" by Richard M. Felder and Ronald W. Rousseau
3. "Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat, and Mass Transfer" by James R. Welty, Charles E. Wicks, Gregory L. Rorrer, and Robert E. Wilson
4. "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles
5. "Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Yunus A. Cengel and John M. Cimbala

These textbooks cover all of the topics mentioned in your question, and have been highly recommended by both students and professionals in the field. They are suitable for first courses and provide a solid foundation for further study in these areas.

As for the Richardson and Coulson textbook, it primarily focuses on chemical engineering principles and may not cover all of the topics in depth. However, it could still be a useful supplemental resource.

I would also recommend checking with your professor or academic advisor for their recommendations, as they may have specific textbooks that align with the course curriculum. Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your individual learning style and the specific course requirements.

1. What makes a good textbook for mass transfer?

A good textbook for mass transfer should have clear and concise explanations of fundamental concepts, with plenty of examples and practice problems for students to apply their understanding. It should also include real-world applications and case studies to demonstrate the relevance of the subject.

2. What should I look for in a heat transfer textbook?

A good heat transfer textbook should cover both theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, including different modes of heat transfer, such as conduction, convection, and radiation. It should also include relevant equations, tables, and figures for easy reference and understanding.

3. How can I choose the best textbook for material and energy balances?

The best textbook for material and energy balances should have a strong emphasis on problem-solving and provide step-by-step solutions to various types of problems. It should also cover different types of balances, such as mass, energy, and entropy, and include examples from a variety of industries to illustrate the concepts.

4. What should be included in a fluid mechanics textbook?

A comprehensive fluid mechanics textbook should cover the fundamental principles and equations of fluid flow, including Bernoulli's equation, continuity equation, and Navier-Stokes equations. It should also include practical applications and examples, as well as discussions on the latest advancements and developments in the field.

5. What are the key components of a good thermodynamics textbook?

A good thermodynamics textbook should provide a solid foundation in the laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic properties and processes, and thermodynamic cycles. It should also include real-world examples and problems to help students apply their knowledge and develop critical thinking skills.