Where is the First PF Thread and Its Author Now?

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, this forum is older than most people think and has a lot of early feedback on how force fields might be realistic or not.
tionis
Gold Member
Where can I find the very first thread posted on PF? Is the author still around?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
That's embarrassing. :))

We've come a very long way and I'm proud to have been allowed to have been a part of it.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, tionis and fresh_42
If memory serves me well webarchive doesn't store individual threads, just a main page of any forum (well, it is more complicated than that, but I don't expect it to have more than just a bunch of main pages stored).

From what I was able to quickly check this is the oldest surviving thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-source-of-all-the-mind.18/

Likes tionis
IIRC, Greg was running out of space after only about a year and deleted the first year of PF to make room for more. However, he put what he'd deleted on a disc that he would send to you (for $20 or something).

That disk is where you would find the true first thread.

Likes Sophia, OCR and tionis
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes tionis, Sophia and Borek
Didn't know there was a forum "How Stuff Works".

Likes tionis

1. What is the purpose of the first thread on PF?

The first thread on PF, also known as the "First Post", was created to serve as a place for new members to introduce themselves and get familiar with the forum community. This thread also serves as a way for veteran members to welcome and offer assistance to new members.

2. Who started the first thread on PF?

The first thread on PF was started by the forum's founder, Greg Bernhardt, on August 7, 2003. He posted a simple introduction and invited others to join in and start discussions on various topics related to physics.

3. What are some popular topics discussed in the first thread on PF?

In the first thread on PF, members introduced themselves and shared their interests in physics and mathematics. They also discussed various topics such as current events in the field, their favorite physics books, and their experiences with studying and working in the field.

4. How many posts are there in the first thread on PF?

As of September 2021, there are over 1,500 posts in the first thread on PF. This includes introductions from new members, responses from veteran members, and ongoing discussions on various topics related to physics and mathematics.

5. Can new members still post in the first thread on PF?

Yes, new members are welcome to post in the first thread on PF. It is a great way to introduce yourself and get to know other members of the forum. However, it is recommended to also explore and participate in other threads and discussions on the forum to fully engage with the community.