First thread to hit one-million views?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At 733,000+ views, it looks like The Caption Competition thread in the Fun and Games Forum has a chance. Do we have any other contenders?

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
Go thread killer Champions!!

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It makes sense that the CCT and TKC - with a large number of posts - have lots of views. And one can also guess the pretty obvious rationale for the disproportionately large number of views (>300,000) for a mere 26 reply-thread by Wollie titled "Blue Tits"! But what causes a 14-reply thread by Zz about a "Really Expensive Cat Toy" to have over 400,000 views? Is this all the proof one needs that slowly but surely, the cats are taking over?

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=views

Last edited:
Lol, there was a thread made to find Evo a man... and I missed it?? :cry:

Lol, there was a thread made to find Evo a man... and I missed it?? :cry:

that was a typo that keep on repeating---not 'a man'---she was looking for a guy named Aman

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
that was a typo that keep on repeating---not 'a man'---she was looking for a guy named Aman
It was a typo that was repeated alot?

It was a typo that was repeated alot?

Must've been that disease spread by Tsu... every post which talks about 'Aman' made the typo 'a man'... craziness of the old days at PF.

why not start a new---'I need a ..."

maybe she's still looking, Amen!

Imean, Aman! oman!

omen?

Dembadon
Gold Member
It makes sense that the CCT and TKC - with a large number of posts - have lots of views. And one can also guess the pretty obvious rationale for the disproportionately large number of views (>300,000) for a mere 26 reply-thread by Wollie titled "Blue Tits"! But what causes a 14-reply thread by Zz about a "Really Expensive Cat Toy" to have over 400,000 views? Is this all the proof one needs that slowly but surely, the cats are taking over?

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=views

Re "Really Expensive Cat Toy" thread:

One would probably need to take into account the fact that "cat toy" is likely a very popular Google search term. It could be that online shoppers stumble into the thread while surfing/shopping around, but soon move on when they realize that it is not what it seems.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re "Really Expensive Cat Toy" thread:

One would probably need to take into account the fact that "cat toy" is likely a very popular Google search term. It could be that online shoppers stumble into the thread while surfing/shopping around, but soon move on when they realize that it is not what it seems.
Hmmm, interesting! Upon further investigation:

http://www.google.com/trends?q="cat+toy",+"dog+toy",+"hamster+toy"&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Why does the pet toy market go crazy every Fall? And more importantly, why did hamsters start demanding toys only last year?

http://www.google.com/trends/viz?q=%22cat+toy%22,+%22dog+toy%22,+%22hamster+toy%22&date=all&geo=all&graph=weekly_img&sort=0&sa=N

red = "dog toy", blue = "cat toy", orange = "hamster toy"

Oh, and what's the deal (see link) with the Germans?

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Excellent! Looks like you've solved one big puzzle. I've noticed that even pigs have gotten into the act of demanding toys for Christmas.

In fact, the only creatures I've found so far, that don't develop a toy craving every Holiday season are boys. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

400,000 views for a cat toy looks like a bug to me. Does the number of views count only the PF registered visitors? or anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted?

Evo
Mentor
400,000 views for a cat toy looks like a bug to me. Does the number of views count only the PF registered visitors? or anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted?
I believe that is is anyone that visits and views a post.

Here is an overview of some threads and average daily visiting rate, the views are of last hour.

2e2412c.jpg

Obviously we need to monitor the views for some time to have an idea of which thread is likely to hit seven figures and when.

Evo
Mentor
Here is an overview of some threads and average daily visiting rate, the views are of last hour.

2e2412c.jpg

Obviously we need to monitor the views for some time to have an idea of which thread is likely to hit seven figures and when.
Woot! Look at Zz's Disney Mania!!

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
None of those are in a science forum?

In fact, the two most viewed threads in the General Phsics forums is a thread about "The Final Theory" that disputes just about all known physics principles and a merged thread about Airplanes and Conveyor Belts. (Can we change the name of that thread to "The Great Red Spot of Jupiter" seeing as how that question is similar to a never ending storm?)

None of those are in a science forum?

In fact, the two most viewed threads in the General Phsics forums is a thread about "The Final Theory" that disputes just about all known physics principles and a merged thread about Airplanes and Conveyor Belts. (Can we change the name of that thread to "The Great Red Spot of Jupiter" seeing as how that question is similar to a never ending storm?)

Sorry Bob, both threads are around 50K hits.

Anyway, 24 hrs later, and errouneously assuming a constant daily hit rate, a very rough prediction can be done, error margin a decade or so:

5wcmr6.jpg

Note my excel insists on a dd-mm-yyyy format for the date. Sorry.

After a few weeks we'd have a better trend I guess, although many factors could change that.

Update with another 24hrs of views. The million hit prediction is based on the average of the last two days. Will the expensive cat toys overtake the captions?

2uptyc2.jpg

Update with another 24 hrs:

2rqhvrp.jpg

Will we ever understand why the member photo thread made such a leap all of a sudden?

yck88.jpg