First time using a breadboard

In summary, the conversation discusses building a circuit with an oscillator, capacitor, and resistor connected in series. The speaker has never used a breadboard before and wants to ensure the circuit is set up correctly. They explain how to wire the components and show a diagram of the setup. They also mention that using a modern function generator should be safe and recommend trying it out to see if it works.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
I want to build a circuit consisting of an oscillator, capacitor, and resistor connected in series. I've never used a breadboard before though, and I want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

From what I understand, I need to wire the +ve of the oscillator in series with the capacitor and resistor. Then connect a reference to ground. I drew what I think this would look like in the image below:

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 8.12.50 PM.png

So I have the +ve wired along bus 5 supplying power to the capacitor connected across a5 and c5. I then hook up the resistor along d5 so it is in series with the capacitor and create a short to d7. The -ve is located along bus 7.

This would work I hope.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow my first attempt was terrible. I have a new attempt that should actually work now I think:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 11.00.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 11.00.56 PM.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Zondrina said:
Wow my first attempt was terrible. I have a new attempt that should actually work now I think:
That's right. If your current source is any sort of modern function generator you shouldn't worry too much about just hooking it up and seeing if it works. Function generators usually have a breaker and other built-in protection that'll keep you from burning them up if you make a mistake, as long as you aren't doing anything crazy.

Q: What is a breadboard and why is it used?

A breadboard is a tool used in electronics to create and test circuits. It allows for easy prototyping and experimentation without the need for soldering. Components can be inserted and removed easily, making it a convenient tool for beginners and professionals alike.

Q: How do I use a breadboard for the first time?

To use a breadboard, start by placing it on a flat surface with the power rails (usually red and blue) facing away from you. Then, insert the components into the appropriate holes according to your circuit diagram. Make sure to connect the components using the metal strips on the breadboard. Finally, connect the power supply to the power rails to test your circuit.

Q: Can I reuse a breadboard for multiple projects?

Yes, breadboards are reusable and can be used for multiple projects. However, over time the metal strips may become loose or damaged, affecting the connectivity of your circuit. It is recommended to replace the breadboard if this occurs.

Q: What should I do if my circuit is not working on the breadboard?

If your circuit is not working, first check all connections to make sure they are secure and in the correct place. Also, make sure the components are inserted correctly and tightly. If the problem persists, try using a different breadboard or check your components for any defects.

Q: Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a breadboard?

Yes, it is important to follow basic safety precautions when using a breadboard. Make sure to disconnect the power supply before making any changes to your circuit. Also, be careful not to touch any live components or wires while the circuit is powered on. Finally, avoid placing the breadboard on conductive surfaces to prevent short circuits.