First Year, College or University. Also a question about if Chemistry is needed

In summary, the individual is planning to become a physicist and is unsure whether to attend a college or university. They mention money as a possible concern, but then clarify that it is not an issue. They have questions about class sizes, transferring between universities, and the importance of chemistry for a physics degree. Another individual advises them to attend a university if possible and to speak with the school they plan to attend for their degree about transferring credits. They also mention that most schools require at least one year of chemistry for a physics degree.
flyingpig
I am planning to become a physicist. But here is my question. Next year I will be heading to a post-secondary institution; however, I am unable to decide whether I should go to a college or university.

Here are some problems

1. Money isn't a BIG concern, but it's always good to save up. Actually money is not a concern at all...

2. Are classes bigger in an University than in College, in terms of # of students per class

3. Is it actually difficult to transfer from another University to another University? Would it be easier to transfer from a college to a University?

4. This is probably a dumb question, but what are the chances of a student in studying in a community college that has a chance to go an Ivy League or any rich universities for his Ph.D?

Other question

1. OKay, so as I said before, I wanted to become a Physicist. However, I want to know how many years or what degree of Chemistry must I have to become one. I am taking AP chemistry right now because it is recommanded, but seriously, do I need Chemistry?

Also, I forgot to mention that I am taking the AP Exams in May

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i'm a little confused by your discrimination between "college" and "university". i know it is somewhat different abroad, but in the US the terms are by and large interchangeable. typically if there is a difference it is that the university is the whole institution, and the colleges are the departments that make it up.

class size varies from school to school. small, private schools will ALWAYS quote average class size and professor-to-student ratio in their advertising material. class size isn't important in my opinion. by the time you get to upper-level courses your classes will be small no matter where you go.

you really have to go to an accredited university if you want to be admitted to a good graduate department. this doesn't mean you have to pay a lot of money, though. large public universities often have very strong natural science and math departments because of the resources available at the school.

you will probably have to take at least some chemistry before you graduate college. when you think about it, chemistry is just applied physics, so there is some relevancy. in terms of basic requirements, though, it might just be general chemistry 1 and 2

I am Canadian

oh well then yes, i would advise going to a university if it can be helped. listen to someone from Canada, though, not me

flyingpig said:
1. Money isn't a BIG concern, but it's always good to save up. Actually money is not a concern at all...

What? So why mention it? You do have a delete key on your keyboard...

flyingpig said:
4. This is probably a dumb question, but what are the chances of a student in studying in a community college that has a chance to go an Ivy League or any rich universities for his Ph.D?

The chance will be very low if said student can't form proper sentences..

I don't mean to be rude, but after reading this post I got the impression that you have no idea what you want to do, or why.

whs said:
What? So why mention it? You do have a delete key on your keyboard...
The chance will be very low if said student can't form proper sentences..

I don't mean to be rude, but after reading this post I got the impression that you have no idea what you want to do, or why.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had to type with perfect grammar, spelling, and use complicated words that contains at least 18 letters just to explain my situation. I typed it up in like less than 3 minutes. So thank you for your criticism.

flyingpig said:
3. Is it actually difficult to transfer from another University to another University? Would it be easier to transfer from a college to a University?[/B]

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but I transferred from a junior college (community college) to a university in Texas, and then from the university in Texas to a university in California. The only problem you run into is loosing credit for classes. Some schools have different guidelines for what information has to be in a course.

I would recommend talking to the school you plan to get your degree from and find out what community colleges they accept course credit from.

Also, from what I've seen, most schools want one year of chemistry for a physics degree. But that will change from school to school.

Legion81 said:
Also, from what I've seen, most schools want one year of chemistry for a physics degree. But that will change from school to school.

I am taking AP Chemistry, so that's all good...

1. What should I expect in my first year of college or university?

In your first year of college or university, you can expect to be introduced to a wide range of subjects and courses. You will also have the opportunity to explore different areas of study and figure out your academic interests. Additionally, you can expect to have a heavier workload and more independence in managing your time and responsibilities.

2. How can I prepare for my first year of college or university?

To prepare for your first year of college or university, it is important to develop strong study habits and time management skills. You can also familiarize yourself with the campus and its resources, as well as the course requirements and expectations. It may also be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni for tips and advice.

3. What are some common challenges faced in the first year of college or university?

Some common challenges students face in their first year of college or university include adjusting to a new environment, managing a heavier workload, and finding a balance between academics and social life. It is normal to feel overwhelmed or homesick, but remember to reach out for support and utilize available resources.

4. Is it necessary to take Chemistry in my first year?

The need to take Chemistry in your first year of college or university depends on your intended major or program. If you are pursuing a degree in a field related to science, medicine, or engineering, then taking Chemistry in your first year may be required or highly recommended. However, if you are not interested in these fields, you may have the option to take a different science course or fulfill your science requirement in later years.

5. How can I make the most out of my first year of college or university?

To make the most out of your first year of college or university, it is important to stay organized, attend classes regularly, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. You can also get involved in extracurricular activities and join student organizations to explore your interests and make new connections. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and take advantage of resources such as tutoring and academic advising.