First year mathematics texbooks

In summary, there are three separate textbooks that cover first year calculus and linear algebra: Thomas calculus with analytical geometry 3rd edition, Linear algebra by Anton, and Linear Algebra DONE RIGHT by Axler. These books require more mathematical maturity. For differential equations, recommended books are Morris Tenenbaum, Ross, and Coddington. Additionally, Simmons calculus is a good book that covers both linear algebra and differential equations. Another option is Paul Shields, which is a gentle introduction to linear algebra but only covers up to R^3. Overall, purchasing all of these books should not cost more than $60.
Cpt Qwark
Are there any good first year textbooks which cover first year differential (limits, partial derivatives, intro vector calculus), integral calculus, DEs, AND linear algebra - vectors and matrices.
other stuff like complex numbers, infinite series, etc would be a bonus.

As in a single textbook which covers both first year calculus and linear algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know 3 separate books. Not 1.

Thomas calculus with analytical geometry 3rd edition (covers cal 1 to 3), and Linear algebra by Anton. Sure Linear Algebra DONE RIGHT (Axler) and linear algebra (spence, ingel?) are better books. However, they require more mathematical maturity. For differentials. You have Morris Tenenbaum, Ross, Coddington (kind of terse but a great book).

I would get all these books. Should not cost you more than 60 dollars.
Simmon's calculus is also quite nice.

This is the only one I know of: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130937002/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

It seems to cover LA up to eigenvalues and ODE up to second order linear equations (and possibly linear systems but I'm not sure about that). And single and multivariable calculus. Not sure why you want it in one book but there you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah kind of redundant imo. Most books of this nature tend to give a survey of the respective mathematical areas.

Paul Shields is also a gentle introduction to linear algebra. Well written but doesn't go above R^3. Nice read to see the computational aspect of linear algebra and how to apply to intro to EnM .

1. What topics are typically covered in a first year mathematics textbook?

A first year mathematics textbook typically covers topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It may also include some introductory topics in statistics and probability.

2. Are first year mathematics textbooks suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

First year mathematics textbooks are designed for students who have a basic understanding of math concepts and are ready to learn more advanced topics. Some textbooks may also include review sections for students who need to refresh their math skills.

3. How are first year mathematics textbooks different from high school math textbooks?

First year mathematics textbooks tend to cover more advanced topics and may go into greater depth compared to high school math textbooks. They also typically have a heavier focus on problem-solving and may include more challenging exercises and examples.

4. Can first year mathematics textbooks be used as a self-study resource?

Yes, first year mathematics textbooks can be used for self-study by motivated students. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor to ensure a thorough understanding of the material.

5. How can I choose the best first year mathematics textbook for my needs?

When choosing a first year mathematics textbook, consider your level of math proficiency, the topics covered, and the style of the textbook. It can also be helpful to look for reviews and recommendations from other students or teachers.