First-Year College Requirements: Philosophy & Social Science Majors

In summary, the student recommends that someone consider a major in philosophy if they want to study with Dangerous Dan Dennett, a renowned philosopher.
zk4586
Alright, so, let's say I decide to major in philosophy and possibly double major, or at least minor, in some social science (psychology, anthropology, ect.), what would I be required to take my first year? Not classes that have to do with my major, just other classes. Are there certain classes I have to take, or does it depend on the school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the school.
and I recommend Anthropology, heheheh (my major).
Which schools are you looking at?

My list is pretty varied. Johns Hopkins, UVA, Georgetown, U. of Penn., NYU, and Tufts University. Though, I did notice this at NYU:

Students considering a major in philosophy are advised to skip over the nonmajor introductory courses, and to begin with one of the intensive introductory courses

That's a plus.

I know that NYU has a terrific anthro program if you were seriously considering the double major.

Everybody has to take 2 semesters of English Composition (gah). At UCF, I had/have to take Speech, a choice of history classes, a choice of science classes, a choice of philosophy, religion, art, or theater, and some other stuff. My major is Computer Science.

Of course, you don't have to take all the gen ed classes your first year.

...unless of course you go to NYU, as I quoted from their philosophy website above.

As you know, Dangerous Dan Dennett is at Tufts. That's reason enough to go there.

Absolutely. That would be my one big reason and it's really tempting the more I think about.

Who is Dangerous Dan and why does he have such a similar name to mine?

Originally posted by Dissident Dan
Who is Dangerous Dan and why does he have such a similar name to mine?

{chuckles}...hahaha...HEH HEH HEH...lol...LOL! LMFAO!

Just look at my avatar and do a search for Daniel Dennett on yahoo or google or even Amazon.com for that matter. I'm going to go back to laughing now.

1. What are the general education requirements for first-year college students majoring in philosophy or social science?

The general education requirements for first-year college students majoring in philosophy or social science may vary depending on the specific institution. However, typically, students are required to take introductory courses in philosophy and social science, as well as courses in English, mathematics, natural sciences, and humanities.

2. Can first-year students choose which philosophy or social science courses to take?

Yes, first-year students are usually given the freedom to choose which philosophy or social science courses they would like to take. However, they may be required to take specific courses as part of the general education requirements for their major.

3. Are there any prerequisites for first-year philosophy or social science courses?

This will depend on the specific course and institution. Some courses may have prerequisites, such as introductory courses in the subject or a certain level of writing or math proficiency. It is always best to check with your academic advisor or the course syllabus for any prerequisites.

4. How many philosophy or social science courses are required for first-year students?

Again, this will vary depending on the institution and major. Generally, students are required to take at least one or two philosophy or social science courses in their first year. However, some majors may have specific requirements for the number of courses in these subjects.

5. Can first-year students take higher-level philosophy or social science courses?

Most institutions allow first-year students to take higher-level philosophy or social science courses if they have completed any necessary prerequisites and meet the requirements for the course. It is always best to consult with your academic advisor before enrolling in a higher-level course to ensure you are prepared for the material.