Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First year of college

1. Apr 23, 2003 #1
    Alright, so, lets say I decide to major in philosophy and possibly double major, or at least minor, in some social science (psychology, anthropology, ect.), what would I be required to take my first year? Not classes that have to do with my major, just other classes. Are there certain classes I have to take, or does it depend on the school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2003 #2
    Depends on the school.
    and I recommend Anthropology, heheheh (my major).
    Which schools are you looking at?
  4. Apr 24, 2003 #3
    My list is pretty varied. Johns Hopkins, UVA, Georgetown, U. of Penn., NYU, and Tufts University. Though, I did notice this at NYU:

That's a plus.
  5. Apr 25, 2003 #4
    I know that NYU has a terrific anthro program if you were seriously considering the double major.
  6. Apr 25, 2003 #5
    Everybody has to take 2 semesters of English Composition (gah). At UCF, I had/have to take Speech, a choice of history classes, a choice of science classes, a choice of philosophy, religion, art, or theater, and some other stuff. My major is Computer Science.

Of course, you don't have to take all the gen ed classes your first year.
  7. Apr 25, 2003 #6
    ...unless of course you go to NYU, as I quoted from their philosophy website above.
  8. Apr 25, 2003 #7
    As you know, Dangerous Dan Dennett is at Tufts. That's reason enough to go there.
  9. Apr 25, 2003 #8
    Absolutely. That would be my one big reason and it's really tempting the more I think about.
  10. Apr 25, 2003 #9
    Who is Dangerous Dan and why does he have such a similar name to mine?
  11. Apr 25, 2003 #10
    {chuckles}...hahaha....HEH HEH HEH...lol...LOL! LMFAO!

Just look at my avatar and do a search for Daniel Dennett on yahoo or google or even Amazon.com for that matter. I'm going to go back to laughing now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?