First Year of Physics at University

In summary, this person is saying that they feel like they are not actually learning the material in their physics class, and that it may just be a basic curriculum. They suggest to not just do pre-written practice problems, but to try and figure things out from scratch.
Astrum
It's my first year of my physics BA. I'm doing very well in my physics class, but I can't help but feel that I'm not actually LEARNING anything.

This probably sounds weird, let me explain.

We go through stuff in class, I read through the chapter we're studying, I do some practice problems, take a quiz, take the mid term (and soon final), but when it comes to a fundamental understanding of the material, it feels as though I'm missing something. I got a 105 on my physics midterm, so if you look at my grades, you'd say "Well, it looks like you're getting it". But I don't FEEL like I am. I don't know what's wrong.

It IS only first year, so maybe the material we're covering is just basic? I'll watch videos on YouTube from physics guys (stuff like Sixty Symbols), and the way they describe and understand the concepts they're talking about is beyond what I could say about myself.

Maybe it's just a bad curriculum?

I just had to get that off my chest. Well, has anyone had a similar experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can relate to this at some level. My suggestion is to not just do pre-written practice problems, but really try to figure things out from scratch. Invent "practice problems" for yourself...

For example, the other day I was filling up my water bottle and wondered if I could write an expression for the percent of the water bottle's volume I could fill up as a function of the maximum height of the water, or angle between the bottle and the "ground" of the fountain. I made a few simplifications about the shape of the bottle, and I'm sure the answer I came up with could be reduced to something a little more elegant, but playing around with the math for an hour or so, just for the fun of it, is something I find really helps to cement ideas in my head so that they become more intuitive and stay with me longer. The same sort of thing can be done with basic physics and other phenomena you see everyday. The additional benefit is that you'll not only be better at solving problems, but at finding interesting problems to solve. That's something that's especially valuable if you'd like to go into research. Not to mention it's always just fun to ask yourself an interesting question and then be able to use your knowledge to figure it out, and it'll keep you interested in the material as well.

1. What topics are typically covered in the first year of physics at university?

In the first year of physics at university, students typically cover topics such as mechanics, waves and oscillations, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and introductory quantum mechanics. These topics lay the foundation for more advanced concepts in later years.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to succeed in first-year physics?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to succeed in first-year physics. Many universities offer introductory math courses alongside the first-year physics courses to help students brush up on any necessary skills. It is important to have a willingness to learn and a solid work ethic to excel in physics.

3. What kind of lab work is involved in first-year physics?

First-year physics courses typically involve laboratory work where students learn to apply theoretical concepts to practical experiments. This can involve using equipment such as motion sensors, oscilloscopes, and spectrometers. Lab work is an important aspect of learning physics as it allows students to see the principles they are learning in action.

4. How much time should I expect to spend on studying for first-year physics?

The amount of time spent studying for first-year physics will vary for each individual, but as a general rule, students should expect to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour spent in class. This may increase during exam periods. It is important to stay on top of coursework and continually review material to be successful in physics.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding difficult concepts in first-year physics?

Yes, most universities offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours with professors to help students understand difficult concepts in first-year physics. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available for further practice and clarification. It is important to take advantage of these resources to ensure a strong understanding of the material.