1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Year Physics

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    I've always had problems with learning physics. It's not that I don't like it or can't do the calculations, but rather the memorization of thousands of equations that can easily derived. Of course, memorizing the important ones are necessary, so we don't have to constantly rederive them. So, my question is: What is a rigorous first year college (AP Physics C) leveled physics text WITH the use of calculus?
    With mechanics, electricity, magnetism, modern physics.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    I didn't know colleges required students to memorize formulas at that level. I don't recall having to memorize formulas at all until my junior year in physics degree. Maybe I was at a crappy college. Or are you talking about the AP physics C test?

As for books, I can definitely say Kleppner's Mechanics is wonderful. Purcell is good for E&M if you have had some E&M before. I don't know of a dedicated modern physics text at that level with calculus.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    I'm just talking about my school's physics program. It's all memorization. We're given a bunch of fornulas and told to memorize them. I'd just like to have an actual book(s) that give the reader how the result is derived. Regardless, I will be taking the AP Physics C exam, so I would like to be prepared too.

Thanks for those suggestions. If Kleppner is as good as you say, I'll definitely getting them!

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0070350485/ref=aw_d_cr_books

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/1107013607/ref=aw_d_cr_books

Those are the ones (with calculus) right?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  5. Oct 10, 2012 #4
    Also, is Grffiths any good for electricity and magnetism?

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5
    Griffiths is for upper-level E&M. If you want rigorous first-year-level stuff, get Purcell.

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6
    Ok. All of this will also prepare me for the AP exam?

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7
    Isn't AP physics C purely mechanics? Either way, the standard calculus based physics textbook is Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics. Get yourself a previous edition like the 6th and that'll cover everything you need for the AP test and includes EM

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. Oct 11, 2012 #9
    Sure looks like it. It's probably the best calculus physics book out there, but I mean physics is physics so any book will do as long as there aren't any glaring deficiencies.

11. Oct 11, 2012 #10
    Alright, thanks.

12. Oct 11, 2012 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook