Find the Best First Year Physics Textbook - Calculus Included!

In summary: Halliday and Resnick is a more comprehensive book. It has more material on electricity and magnetism, and it's geared more towards the AP test.
BloodyFrozen
I've always had problems with learning physics. It's not that I don't like it or can't do the calculations, but rather the memorization of thousands of equations that can easily derived. Of course, memorizing the important ones are necessary, so we don't have to constantly rederive them. So, my question is: What is a rigorous first year college (AP Physics C) leveled physics text WITH the use of calculus?
With mechanics, electricity, magnetism, modern physics.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know colleges required students to memorize formulas at that level. I don't recall having to memorize formulas at all until my junior year in physics degree. Maybe I was at a crappy college. Or are you talking about the AP physics C test?

As for books, I can definitely say Kleppner's Mechanics is wonderful. Purcell is good for E&M if you have had some E&M before. I don't know of a dedicated modern physics text at that level with calculus.

I'm just talking about my school's physics program. It's all memorization. We're given a bunch of fornulas and told to memorize them. I'd just like to have an actual book(s) that give the reader how the result is derived. Regardless, I will be taking the AP Physics C exam, so I would like to be prepared too.

Thanks for those suggestions. If Kleppner is as good as you say, I'll definitely getting them!

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0070350485/ref=aw_d_cr_books

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/1107013607/ref=aw_d_cr_books

Those are the ones (with calculus) right?

Last edited:
Also, is Grffiths any good for electricity and magnetism?

Griffiths is for upper-level E&M. If you want rigorous first-year-level stuff, get Purcell.

Ok. All of this will also prepare me for the AP exam?

Isn't AP physics C purely mechanics? Either way, the standard calculus based physics textbook is Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics. Get yourself a previous edition like the 6th and that'll cover everything you need for the AP test and includes EM

Sure looks like it. It's probably the best calculus physics book out there, but I mean physics is physics so any book will do as long as there aren't any glaring deficiencies.

Alright, thanks.

1. What is the best way to choose a first year physics textbook?

The best way to choose a first year physics textbook is to consider your own learning style and the required material for your course. Look for textbooks that have clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems. You may also want to consult with your professor or other students who have taken the course for their recommendations.

2. Should I choose a textbook with or without calculus included?

This depends on your level of comfort with calculus and the requirements of your course. If you are comfortable with calculus and it is a required component of your course, then choosing a textbook with calculus included would be beneficial. However, if you struggle with calculus or it is not required for your course, a textbook without calculus may be a better option.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a first year physics textbook?

Yes, there are a few key features to look for in a first year physics textbook. These include clear and concise explanations, relevant examples, practice problems with solutions, and interactive online resources such as simulations or videos. Additionally, look for textbooks that have a well-organized structure and a user-friendly layout.

4. Is it necessary to buy the newest edition of a first year physics textbook?

In most cases, it is not necessary to buy the newest edition of a first year physics textbook. While newer editions may have updated information or formatting, the core concepts and principles of physics remain the same. If you have the option to purchase an older edition at a lower cost, it may be a more practical choice.

5. Can I use multiple textbooks for my first year physics course?

It is possible to use multiple textbooks for your first year physics course, but it is not necessary. It may be helpful to consult with your professor to see if they recommend any additional resources. However, using multiple textbooks may be overwhelming and may not necessarily enhance your understanding of the material. It is important to choose one textbook that suits your learning style and stick with it.