1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First year practise problem

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    t7xxqp.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried solving this question a few different ways, and I got different answers every time. My first attempt I realized that the relationship between the changing x, changing y, and changing angle was tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/x , so first of all I tried to figure out the final x, and I could do this because it gave me the angular velocity and the final angle, so I got the time to be ∏/2. Then I multiplied 2*(∏/2) to get the distance travelled. So the distance from the wall is 10 - ∏, now that I know the x I can figure out dy/dt, so I differentiate the first expression and get (sec([itex]\theta[/itex]))^2*d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = dy/dt * 1/(10-∏). Then the answer would be (sqrt(2))^2 * 0.5 * (10-∏) = dy/dt, so that was my first answer, now here to my second answer. I differentiate that first expression straight from the beginning, I won't post it but I used the quotient rule, then I figured out that I needed x and y, so I figured out the time the same way as before, it was ∏/2, then I figured out the distance from the wall which was also 10 - ∏, but I also figured out that tan(∏/4) = 1 = O/A so x = y, so y = 10 - ∏ also, but when I plug everything in then, I get 8.86 m/s instead of 6.86 m/s which was what I got in the first attempt. But both of these answers are wrong according to the prof.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got some parts right. y=x*tan(θ). Differentiate both sides with respect to t and remember x AND θ are both functions of t. Use the product rule.

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    dy/dt = tan(θ) *dx/dt + x*(sec(θ))^2*dθ/dt

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, now use that.

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5
    dy/dt = 2 + (10 - ∏)*2*0.5
    = 8.86 m/s
    but my professor got 4.86 m/s...he used -2 instead of 2....sooo is he right?

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, he is. dx/dt isn't 2. x is getting smaller as time goes on.

8. Nov 14, 2013 #7
    ohh alright, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted