1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First year statics question

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    A 70 kg overhead garage door consists of a uniform rectangular panel AC, 2100 mm high, supported by the cable AE attached at the middle of the upper edge of the door and by two sets of frictionless rollers A and B. Each set consists of 2 rollers located on either side of door. The rollers A are free to move in horizontal channels, while the rollers B are guided by vertical channels. If the door is held in the position for which BD =1050 mm, determine
    a.) Tension in cable AE
    b.) Reaction at each of the four channels

(For an image go to http://www.freewebsite.0nyx.com/images/garage.bmp Sorry for the crappy image. I made it in paint and by the way, that G is supposed to be W.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Any thoughts...?

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    I'm not too sure but..

I think I can calculate the moment around point B and then get the value for A. Then I can let Fx=0 and Fy=0 and get the rest of the answers.

Does this make sense?

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    Help

How come my thread ended up on the third page! I still need help..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?