1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First year university physics

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    Im having a bit of trouble on the last question of my assignment...

The circular motion of a particle in the x-y plane is given by the equations: r(t) = 7.23 m, θ(t) = (6.33 rad/s)t, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the polar angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Calculate the x-coordinate of the particle at time t = 2.50 s.

ayone have any hints, care to point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Homework questions should be posted in the homework forums, not in the general forums.

Having said that, are you familiar with converting between rectangular (x,y) coordinates and polar (r,theta) coordinates? You have the equation of motion of the particle in polar coordinates, so calculate the position (r,theta) at t=2.5s, and convert to polar coordinates to provide the answer requested.

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    No im not familiar with converting between rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates this is all new to me.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

5. Sep 13, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?