1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools First Year University Student

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    As the title says, I'm a first year university student, currently attending Northern Michigan University. I'm really quite unsure about what classes I should take in my second semester and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I'm unsure what kind of physics/mathematics I want to get into, but I know I belong somewhere in the field of those two subjects. I'm aiming for a Ph.D in whatever field I choose.

During my first semester, I was sort of stuck with classes that I didn't really want because my Freshman Orientation was the last one of the summer and most of the classes I wanted to take were filled. I'm not taking any math or science courses right now, and it really bums me out. Those are the things I understand, things I can get a firm grasp on.

Any suggestions about courses, or even just general college advice, would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to meeting the people of PF and hopefully becoming a regular here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2010 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Talk to your undergraduate advisor. As a math or physics major, your first year is pretty much set in stone (calculus and calculus based physics then load up on GE nonsense).

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you talked to anybody in the physics department about this? Practically everywhere, the physics major starts with introductory physics I and calculus I the first semester of freshman year. I'd be amazed to see a physics department let a prospective physics major get shut out of calculus and the introductory physics sequence for freshman year. There's usually a way to override enrollment limits, but it has to be done by the course instructor or someone in the department.

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    I talked to my Academic Adviser today and checked out my liberal studies evaluation, as well as the required courses for my B.S. Physics, with a double minor in Mathematics and Computer Science. I called and scheduled a meeting with the Head of the Physics department for tomorrow, so I hope I'll be able to get some more advice from him as well.

Are there any grad school prep tips I should know about and maybe certain things I should do to help me get into grad school?

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    "Are there any grad school prep tips I should know about and maybe certain things I should do to help me get into grad school? "

Register in your required courses before they are full.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook