Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fish Hobbyists: ICH!

1. Dec 20, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Doh. I should have quarantined my new fish. Now my tank's infected with ich.

Like to hear your home-brewed solutions for curing ich. (And if anyone swears by any particular meds (Furan II?), I'll hear that too).

10 gal tank, cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, betta, and one shrimp (an invertebrate, which I'll sacrifice if it comes to it.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2
    I always go for a 2 fold cure, first I use a product called Quickcure, then a antiboitic, just in case they pick up a secondary infection. Make sure to follow the correct lenth of time for treatment. Also remove the charcoal from the filter durring treatment, or the meds will get stuck in it.
    Hope your little guys will be feeling better soon!

4. Dec 20, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Do you directly treat your tank, or a quarantine tank?

5. Dec 20, 2005 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After a malachite green disaster, I started swabbing my ich cases with 1% hydrogen peroxide (just cut drugstore stuff 3:1), and adding tobacco, couple Chesterfields or Pall Malls to a 75 gal tank --- so maybe a quarter of a cigarette in 10, to kill the rest of the arthropods. Move your shrimp to a mason jar --- there's no point to gratuitously sacrificing the little guy.

If you do try the peroxide, use a Q-tip, and keep it away from the eyes and gills --- I don't know that anything bad would result, but I didn't want to take the chance, and haven't had problems since.

Your mileage may vary.

6. Dec 20, 2005 #5
    I treat the whole tank, I found it was less stressful.

7. Dec 21, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This will treat the fish but it won't treat the tank. They'll just get re-infected.

8. Dec 21, 2005 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh. I'd almost forgotten about salt as an excellent treatment and preventative.

Anybody know the correct concentration?

9. Dec 21, 2005 #8

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

As far as the salt concentration, if you have any aquarium salt it should state on the package what dose to use for regular maintenance and that should probably run the same for treatment.

I always found a UV sterilizer to be a nice way to treat/prevent Ich, but that's a bit extreme for a 10 gallon. You can also jack the temp up a bit (as high as 80F, I think) to speed up the life cycle of the inverts and do alot of water changes, being sure to vacuum the gravel to get all life stages of this parasite.

Also, here's a great source for advice on practically any aquarium-related stuff.

10. Dec 21, 2005 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The tobacco is the tank treatment, nicotine being being toxic to most arthropods.

11. Dec 22, 2005 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Two of em didn't make it.

Put a few drops of Quick Cure in my tank. Man, are they unhappy. Wiggling around - the itching must be driving them crazy. (Though, strange: they're not scraping themselves like they usually do - more like wiggling.)

I'm worried about something though - they are gasping at the surface. I wonder if that's an indication that their gills are badly infected with parasites. I had intended to leave the pump off so they don't have to fight the current in their weakened state, but with this gasping symptom, I fear the low oygen saturation in stagnant water might be worse for them.

12. Dec 22, 2005 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and don't forget frequent water changes

13. Dec 22, 2005 #12
    I'm sure you have already TURNED THE PUMP BACK ON. You should add antibiotics ASAP.
    Salt as a cure, is really tricky and many fresh water fish get stressed from it.
    Sorry to hear you've lost a few:frown:

14. Dec 22, 2005 #13

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to be picky but by definition antibiotics do not affect protozoan. It only has an affect bacteria. I am microbiologist and the misuse of the term antibiotics tend to bug me :wink:

These are the chemicals that are effective against ICH: Malachite green, methylene blue, quinine hydrochloride, and Mepacrine Hydrochloride. I have two of these in the lab and quinine hydrocloride is the bittering agent in tonic water.

15. Dec 23, 2005 #14
    No the antibiotic are for any secondary infection from the open wounds, which happen very often with fish. As noted in my above post.

16. Dec 23, 2005 #15
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?