Stunning Fish Optics: How Fish See Above the Water

In summary, Fish can achieve a 180 degree full view of everything above the water because light rays are reversible. A diagram can be drawn to show the refraction of light rays from air to water and back. However, fish make lousy glasses due to their scratchy scales and they are not good sunglasses as they can start to stink after drying out.
Kaluence
fish optics*urgent*

i dun get it, someone told me that a fish can see everything above it.how can a fish achieve a 180 degree full view of everything above the water?

Science news on Phys.org
Kaluence said:
i dun get it, someone told me that a fish can see everything above it.how can a fish achieve a 180 degree full view of everything above the water?
Draw a diagram showing light rays from air being refracted by the water. Do any angles of incidence not get refracted?

Or try this trick: Imagine the fish has a light bulb on its head! Draw a diagram of the those light rays as they leave the water and refract into the air. Does the light reach every angle of refraction? (Then realize that the answer to this is the answer to your question, since light rays are reversible.)

All that I know for sure about the optics of fish is that they make lousy glasses. The scales can scratch your cornea. They most particularly make lousy sunglasses, because they start to stink after they dry out.

1. How do fish see above the water?

Fish have specialized eyes that allow them to see both above and below the water's surface. They have a clear membrane over their eyes called the cornea, which acts as a protective layer and helps them see in both air and water. The shape of their eyes also plays a role in their ability to see above the water.

2. Can all fish see above the water?

No, not all fish have the ability to see above the water. It depends on the species and the environment in which they live. Fish that live in shallow, clear waters are more likely to have the ability to see above the water compared to those that live in deeper or murky waters.

3. How do fish see colors above the water?

Fish have specialized cells in their eyes called cones, which allow them to see colors. These cones are sensitive to different wavelengths of light, which enables fish to see a wide range of colors above the water's surface. However, their color perception may be slightly different than humans due to the different wavelengths of light that penetrate the water.

4. Can fish see as well above the water as they do below?

It depends on the species of fish and their visual adaptations. Some fish, like freshwater fish, have excellent vision both above and below the water. However, other fish, like deep-sea fish, have adapted to low light environments and may not see as well above the water's surface.

5. Why is it important to understand how fish see above the water?

Understanding how fish see above the water is crucial for conservation efforts and fishing practices. It allows us to better understand their behavior and how they interact with their surroundings. Additionally, it can help us develop more effective lures and bait for fishing and ensure that we are not disrupting or harming fish populations with our activities.