Choosing a Welcome Snack at PF: Triffles or No?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Welcome
In summary: Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.I think we should add jars of cockles in brine or tins of spam. Sounds good to me. I like those little smoked oysters in cottonseed oil.

Which did you choose when you joined PF?

• Fish

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Cereal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When you joined PF, which did you choose for your welcome snack?

I wonder if we should add another option. Should we start handing out those leftover triffles that Wolly is trying to unload?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rats! my poll didn't work. I was trying to make options for fish, cereal or neither, but when I went back to change the # of options I messed it up :(

I wasn't offered any fish or cereal :cry:

I think we should add jars of cockles in brine or tins of spam.

I joined back in the stone age and we sat around sharing a mammoth haunch. 'Twas good, too.

I passed on the snacks, of course those were the early days of PF, no one had a fridge yet.

The fish. The fridge was on the blink that day and the fish was smelling fowl. Tasted like chicken. :biggrin:

yomamma said:
I wasn't offered any fish or cereal :cry:
That avatar is REALLY confusing me. I almost said, "Of course you were, Pengwuino!" :rofl:
Wollie said:
I think we should add jars of cockles in brine or tins of spam.
Sounds good to me. I like those little smoked oysters in cottonseed oil.
I joined back in the stone age and we sat around sharing a mammoth haunch. 'Twas good, too.
I guess in those days, a mammoth would last the PF multitude for quite a few days. There are so many members now, a mammoth would be devoured in an afternoon, I bet!
hypatia said:
I passed on the snacks, of course those were the early days of PF, no one had a fridge yet.
That was probably a wise choice!

BobG said:
The fish. The fridge was on the blink that day and the fish was smelling fowl. Tasted like chicken. :biggrin:
ar ar ar ar :rofl:

I had the lasagna

Lasagna? Evo, when did we have Lasagna? Was that a special promotion or something?

I wasn't offered anything when I joined?

Can I have pilchards on wheatabix? Mmmm tastey then or does it have to be a or b?

Nobody official offered me anything. Luckily, though, it was Brewnog who coaxed me along so I got some beer.

We offered freeze dried jellyfish and lobster, but no lasagna.

MIH, let me know what changes you want made to the poll.

Evo said:
We offered freeze dried jellyfish

Is this how astronauts eat their jellyfish?

- Warren

chroot said:
Is this how astronauts eat their jellyfish?

- Warren
Yep, they can squeeze some seaweed paste on them. :yuck:

Thanks for the poll, Evo! Now we'll know how much of each to order for the new members.

Math Is Hard said:
rats! my poll didn't work. I was trying to make options for fish, cereal or neither, but when I went back to change the # of options I messed it up :(
Fixed!

I wasn't even offered a welcome snack when I got here. :frown: (And I'm not sure I want the fish that should be waiting for me now either. :uhh:)

Math Is Hard said:
I wonder if we should add another option. Should we start handing out those leftover triffles that Wolly is trying to unload?
Ooh, triffles sound good (or trifles, whichever it's supposed to be...I think I like calling them triffles though :biggrin:). :approve: Start cramming them into the hard drive, Wollie. We're only a couple weeks away from the Fall term starting here, so we should have a bunch of new students arriving for homework help very soon. Triffles really might be just the thing to keep them around. Old triffles sure seem better than old fish!

Did we fix the espresso machine? I have a final Friday.

I think LYN is in charge of the espresso machine.

The heat got to the fish, so I decided to do what the Romans did...

Garum (Roman sun rotted fish sauce)

Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.

- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from A Taste of Ancient Rome

Evo said:

Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.

- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from A Taste of Ancient Rome
Wow! People actually ate that? Sounds horrible. And dangerous. I ate some spoiled salmon once and barely survived.:yuck:

Evo said:

:yuck: Fish so rancid it liquified?! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Math Is Hard said:
Wow! People actually ate that? Sounds horrible. And dangerous. I ate some spoiled salmon once and barely survived.:yuck:
They poured it on everything. :yuck:

well, OK, then. I'll put the Garum out in the welcome tent. We'll see who's brave enough to take a taste.

Math Is Hard said:
well, OK, then. I'll put the Garum out in the welcome tent. We'll see who's brave enough to take a taste.
:rofl: Just don't tell them what it is.

Do you think we ought to expand our offerings?

I offered low carb cereal once, but no takers. :frown:

Hey, does anyone know how many new members we threw fish at that never returned after their first post?

I remember that for awhile our kill rate was pretty high. :redface:

Evo said:
Hey, does anyone know how many new members we threw fish at that never returned after their first post?

I remember that for awhile our kill rate was pretty high. :redface:
I think it's still pretty high. Maybe we should throw the fish at crackpots, and save Wollie's triffles for new members we want to keep around.

Low carb cereal, huh? I hope you at least served it in a pretty, souvenier bowl. :uhh:

hmmm... I remember membership really fell off when we were hitting people with the frozen salmon.

I think the frozen salmon might be a bigger hit in the summer. After they regain conciousness, they can apply the frozen fish to the bump.

Maybe we should do seasonal give aways. Like chili in the fall. Of course they'll need to bring they're own bowl, it's not like we have unlimited funds.

Last edited:
Most of the new members don't come back after we started getting our fish from Cernobyl Foods :frown:

yomamma said:
Most of the new members don't come back after we started getting our fish from Cernobyl Foods :frown:
AHAH! So YOU'RE the one that leaked our source! :grumpy:

No...:uhh:

I think they began to realize it when pengwuino stated glowing