1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fish Problem

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    All right, I am doing my physics homework and I just cannot figure this one out. I have been trying for literally over an hour, so I am running out of ideas. Here it is.

The tension at which a fishing line snaps is commonly called the line's “strength.” What minimum strength is needed for a line that is to stop a salmon of weight 76 N in 13 cm if the fish is initially drifting at 3.1 m/s? Assume a constant deceleration.

All right, so clearly this has to do with force, which is going to end up being the mass of the fish times its decleration. But because they are asking for strength, I am guessing it a magnitude and not a vector. So, I have tried things such as using the velocity over the meters taken to stop the fish, to get time and then apply that to get the acceleration, but that was clearly wrong as the time changes due to the deceleration. I have done all kinds of things, I need help to figure this one out. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use your knowledge of kinematics to find the acceleration. (You are given the initial speed and the distance--that's all you need.) Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the force needed to produce that acceleration. (What's the mass of the fish?)

4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    Thank you so much. I hate those problems that are so simple, yet you overlook. I figured out the answer and it was correct. I used the formula 2a(Change in x) = (final velocity) squared minus (initial velocity) squred. but once again, thank you

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    another question about the fish problem

I was wondering if someone could explain the fish problem in a bit more detail, I can't seem to get it...

Thanks in advance

6. Oct 20, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the Forums Mike,

How would you approach the problem yourself? How much do you know about kinematics?

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6
    As far as approaching the problem, im not sure, I was doing a few things with F=ma and replaceing the F with W, but i dont seem to be making a whole lot of progress.

8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, do you know any kinematic equations?

9. Oct 20, 2006 #8
    Umm what would be an example of some?

10. Oct 20, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doc Al has authored this rather nice thread, as a summary of many basic physics formulae. This post in particular deals with basic kinematic equations.

11. Oct 20, 2006 #10
    Yes I do know some kinematics

12. Oct 20, 2006 #11
    I am familiar with all of those yes

13. Oct 20, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make two list, one with variables you know. The other with variable(s) you wish to find. Which formulae are applicable in your case?

14. Oct 20, 2006 #13
    I don't see how the initial speed and the distance can get you the acceleration though.

15. Oct 20, 2006 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You also know the final velocity.

16. Oct 20, 2006 #15
    For this problem the displacement and velocity equation would be needed i think, and Newtons 2nd law F=ma and maybe W=mg

17. Oct 20, 2006 #16
    Ohhh, it would be zero

18. Oct 20, 2006 #17

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spot on.
    Good.
    Sounds good.
    You may want to rethink this. What can you say about the net vertical force is a fish is floating (or swimming) at the same depth?

19. Oct 20, 2006 #18
    it would zero if the fish was at the same depth?

20. Oct 20, 2006 #19

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct, so you don't need to worry about the weight of the fish. However, you do need the weight to calculate the ....

21. Oct 20, 2006 #20
    the mass of the fish?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?