Calculating Line Strength to Stop a Salmon

In summary: Do you have any other questions about the fish problem?No, that's all I wanted to know.In summary, Mike was trying to solve a physics problem that had to do with the tension at which a fishing line snaps. He was having trouble figuring out the answer, and then he found the answer using kinematics. He was also having trouble with the initial speed and the distance, but he was able to figure out the final velocity and apply Newton's second law to find the force needed to produce the acceleration.
cd80187
All right, I am doing my physics homework and I just cannot figure this one out. I have been trying for literally over an hour, so I am running out of ideas. Here it is.

The tension at which a fishing line snaps is commonly called the line's “strength.” What minimum strength is needed for a line that is to stop a salmon of weight 76 N in 13 cm if the fish is initially drifting at 3.1 m/s? Assume a constant deceleration.

All right, so clearly this has to do with force, which is going to end up being the mass of the fish times its decleration. But because they are asking for strength, I am guessing it a magnitude and not a vector. So, I have tried things such as using the velocity over the meters taken to stop the fish, to get time and then apply that to get the acceleration, but that was clearly wrong as the time changes due to the deceleration. I have done all kinds of things, I need help to figure this one out. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Use your knowledge of kinematics to find the acceleration. (You are given the initial speed and the distance--that's all you need.) Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the force needed to produce that acceleration. (What's the mass of the fish?)

Thank you so much. I hate those problems that are so simple, yet you overlook. I figured out the answer and it was correct. I used the formula 2a(Change in x) = (final velocity) squared minus (initial velocity) squred. but once again, thank you

another question about the fish problem

I was wondering if someone could explain the fish problem in a bit more detail, I can't seem to get it...

Thanks in advance

mike_24 said:
I was wondering if someone could explain the fish problem in a bit more detail, I can't seem to get it...

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forums Mike,

How would you approach the problem yourself? How much do you know about kinematics?

As far as approaching the problem, I am not sure, I was doing a few things with F=ma and replaceing the F with W, but i don't seem to be making a whole lot of progress.

mike_24 said:
As far as approaching the problem, I am not sure, I was doing a few things with F=ma and replaceing the F with W, but i don't seem to be making a whole lot of progress.
Okay, do you know any kinematic equations?

Umm what would be an example of some?

Yes I do know some kinematics

I am familiar with all of those yes

mike_24 said:
Yes I do know some kinematics
Make two list, one with variables you know. The other with variable(s) you wish to find. Which formulae are applicable in your case?

I don't see how the initial speed and the distance can get you the acceleration though.

mike_24 said:
I don't see how the initial speed and the distance can get you the acceleration though.
You also know the final velocity.

For this problem the displacement and velocity equation would be needed i think, and Newtons 2nd law F=ma and maybe W=mg

Ohhh, it would be zero

mike_24 said:
Ohhh, it would be zero
Spot on.
mike_24 said:
For this problem the displacement and velocity equation would be needed i think,
Good.
mike_24 said:
and Newtons 2nd law F=ma
Sounds good.
mike_24 said:
and maybe W=mg
You may want to rethink this. What can you say about the net vertical force is a fish is floating (or swimming) at the same depth?

it would zero if the fish was at the same depth?

mike_24 said:
it would zero if the fish was at the same depth?
Correct, so you don't need to worry about the weight of the fish. However, you do need the weight to calculate the ...

the mass of the fish?

mike_24 said:
the mass of the fish?
Correct. Can you have a go at the question from here?

Yes, i hope so, but one other question, I rearranged the velocity and displacement equation to solve for acceleration and have calculated the mass of the fish, but i get a really large acceleration, is it because i converted the 13cm to m?, isn't that was is always done?, or am I going wrong somewheres else?

So, once you re-arrange your equation you should obtain;

[tex]a = \frac{v_{f}^2}{2\Delta x}[/tex]

Yes, you should always convert your units to S.I. units in this type of problem.

Doing that gives you an acceleration of 36.96m/s^2, just seems like it should be more like 3

Would 36.96 be the correct acceleration?

mike_24 said:
Would 36.96 be the correct acceleration?
Yes, that's correct. The units are m/s^2.

As Doc Al said, your answer is correct. However, I would be interested to know why you think the acceleration should be around 3m.s-2?

I had no reason to believe it would be around 3, it was just it seemed 36m/s^2 would be too high of a number. Thanks though for all the help with this problem, I appreciate it.

1. How do you calculate the line strength needed to stop a salmon?

The line strength needed to stop a salmon can be calculated by taking into account several factors, such as the size and weight of the salmon, the type of fishing line being used, and the strength of the rod and reel. It is important to have a line strength that is strong enough to withstand the force of the salmon while also being light enough to allow for a successful catch.

2. What is the best type of fishing line for stopping a salmon?

The best type of fishing line for stopping a salmon is a braided line. This type of line is known for its superior strength and durability, making it more likely to withstand the force of a salmon. Additionally, braided lines have a smaller diameter, allowing for better casting and less resistance in the water.

3. How important is the rod and reel when calculating line strength for salmon?

The rod and reel are crucial components when calculating line strength for salmon. A strong and sturdy rod will help to absorb the shock and force of a salmon, while a reliable reel will help to smoothly reel in the fish. It is important to choose a rod and reel that are specifically designed for salmon fishing.

4. Can line strength be adjusted for different sizes of salmon?

Yes, line strength can and should be adjusted for different sizes of salmon. A larger and heavier salmon will require a stronger line, while a smaller salmon may only need a lighter line. Adjusting the line strength based on the size of the salmon will help to ensure a successful catch without risking the breaking of the line.

5. How can I test the line strength before going fishing for salmon?

To test the line strength before fishing for salmon, you can tie the line to a solid object, such as a tree, and slowly apply pressure to see how much weight the line can withstand before breaking. You can also consult with a fishing expert or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific line you are using.